Using a trainer on carpet

Old January 13th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jason Spaceman

Default Using a trainer on carpet

I received a fluid trainer as an Xmas gift. Since I live in an apartment I
don't have a basement or garage to use it in. My only choice is to set it up in
my apartment living room, which is carpeted.

What's the best way to keep grease and dirt from my bike off of the carpet? I'm
thinking of buying a large plastic sheet (a vapour barrier or a paint drop
sheet) to place on the ground, and tape the rear section to the wall to keep
dirt that flies off my rear wheel from sticking to the wall.

Also, would the trainer tend to wobble a little if used on carpet? Would
putting a piece of plywood, or perhaps a hard plastic mat, underneath it keep it
from wobbling?

Jason

Old January 13th 10, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jason Spaceman wrote:

I received a fluid trainer as an Xmas gift. *Since I live in an apartment I
don't have a basement or garage to use it in. *My only choice is to set it up in
my apartment living room, which is carpeted. *

What's the best way to keep grease and dirt from my bike off of the carpet? *I'm
thinking of buying a large plastic sheet (a vapour barrier or a paint drop
sheet) to place on the ground, and tape the rear section to the wall to keep
dirt that flies off my rear wheel from sticking to the wall.

Also, would the trainer tend to wobble a little if used on carpet? *Would
putting a piece of plywood, or perhaps a hard plastic mat, underneath it keep it
from wobbling?

I was thinking plywood before I got to your suggestion. That would
keep the carpet clean, stabilize the trainer stand, and keep the feet
from gnawing divots into the carpet pile. You could get a 4' X 8'
sheet of 7/16" OSB (chipboard) for about five bucks last time I
checked.

Consider using hefty doses of sedatives or anti-psychotics to lessen
the crushing sense of futility brought about by pedaling on a stand.

Chalo
Old January 13th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Jason Spaceman wrote:
I received a fluid trainer as an Xmas gift. Since I live in an apartment I
don't have a basement or garage to use it in. My only choice is to set it up in
my apartment living room, which is carpeted.

What's the best way to keep grease and dirt from my bike off of the carpet? I'm
thinking of buying a large plastic sheet (a vapour barrier or a paint drop
sheet) to place on the ground, and tape the rear section to the wall to keep
dirt that flies off my rear wheel from sticking to the wall.

The ideal solution is a clean bike, I am fortunate to have a few
choices. I use a (folded) cotton drop cloth or sheet under the bike.

Also, would the trainer tend to wobble a little if used on carpet? Would
putting a piece of plywood, or perhaps a hard plastic mat, underneath it keep it
from wobbling?

I haven't had that problem, but my carpet in that place is thin and has
no pad.

The classic material used to protect floors is Masonite. It works well
over carpet because one side is rough. It's light, cheap and won't give
you splinters. Usually available, either precut or cut for small charge,
at big box stores or lumber yards.
Old January 13th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 13, 1:42*am, Chalo wrote:
Jason Spaceman wrote:

[...]

Please: Easy on the Yankees, Chalo.

Suggest video equipment and a selection of pro racing DVD's, IRT
dealing with Training Cabin Fever.

Masonite sounds good; that's used, pre-formed for the purpose, over
carpet for office chairs with roller feet and is stable once it takes
a set in position.

Alternative suggestion: leave the workout in the gym; find a spin
class that can be attended for a flat fee, if you're not already a
member of some kind of "club" that includes spin classes. Showers,
steam and dry sauna rooms, weights and machines, plus other
attractions. A nice vaykay off the bike in the off season and then
back at it when sunlight and decent temps and clear roads become
available again in two or three months, depending on how far into the
GFN you live. --D-y
Old January 13th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cycledogg

On Jan 12, 9:46*pm, Jason Spaceman
wrote:
I received a fluid trainer as an Xmas gift. *Since I live in an apartment I
don't have a basement or garage to use it in. *My only choice is to set it up in
my apartment living room, which is carpeted. *

What's the best way to keep grease and dirt from my bike off of the carpet? *I'm
thinking of buying a large plastic sheet (a vapour barrier or a paint drop
sheet) to place on the ground, and tape the rear section to the wall to keep
dirt that flies off my rear wheel from sticking to the wall.

Also, would the trainer tend to wobble a little if used on carpet? *Would
putting a piece of plywood, or perhaps a hard plastic mat, underneath it keep it
from wobbling?

Jason

I simply use a large beach towel. It covers the space used and is
washable. No worries here.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee
Old January 13th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 13 Jan, 13:51, " wrote:
On Jan 13, 1:42*am, Chalo wrote:

Jason Spaceman wrote:

[...]

Yes, the enforced break from cycling allows one to pursue other
training opportunities such as swimming which mean that mentally a
rider will come afresh to cycling with a greater enthusiasm when the
snows clear.
Old January 13th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gocycle

Go to your nearest weight lifting store. Invest in the rubber matt used to
place barbells on the floor. It is a nice waffled rubberized matt.

Luigi

Old January 14th 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sandy

On 12-Jan-10 21:46, Jason Spaceman a bien réfléchi et puis a déclaré...:
I received a fluid trainer as an Xmas gift. Since I live in an apartment I
don't have a basement or garage to use it in. My only choice is to set it up in
my apartment living room, which is carpeted.

What's the best way to keep grease and dirt from my bike off of the carpet? I'm
thinking of buying a large plastic sheet (a vapour barrier or a paint drop
sheet) to place on the ground, and tape the rear section to the wall to keep
dirt that flies off my rear wheel from sticking to the wall.

Also, would the trainer tend to wobble a little if used on carpet? Would
putting a piece of plywood, or perhaps a hard plastic mat, underneath it keep it
from wobbling?

Jason

My solution has been a plastic chair mat as used in offices. I know it
remains flexible, which may have an edge over the wood products
otherwise suggested. I think they could crease, crack, crumble or
disintegrate from normal use. Never did try them, though.--

Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old January 14th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

oooh that's an easy one!

simply pullall the tacks from carpet's edges, roll carpet up and
store - pssibly on another planet.

Old January 14th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 13, 1:42*am, Chalo wrote:
Jason Spaceman wrote:

[...]

I've been power walking at the elevated track while watching youth
basketball at the local community center during the cold snap. It's
free and social. You don't have to duplicate good weather activities
with ****ty simulations.

oil on white carpet TerryJ UK 18 October 5th 09 04:16 PM
Oil Stains on carpet Mark Thompson UK 2 January 5th 07 04:17 PM
Standup WW On Carpet? unicycle2280 Unicycling 5 March 30th 06 07:56 PM
Fanini called on the carpet Ivan A. Blunt Racing 2 December 1st 04 08:18 PM
Fanini called on the carpet Ivan A. Blunt Racing 0 December 1st 04 07:15 PM