Passed and Passed Fast

Old August 9th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Passed and Passed Fast

The advent of Lance Armstrong caused a HUGE upsurge in interest in riding bicycles in the US. As is showing now Lance was no more guilty of cheating than every other top pro. And it's also showing that ALL sports are guilty of the same thing. Though several university studies have suggested that the professional bicyclists are tuned to such a fine edge that performance enhancing drugs actually have the opposite effect. Tour riders may believe in PED's and hence use them but they have little or even bad effects. Which sort of makes sense. Remember that originally they used alcohol to increase performance and now we know absolutely for certain that it damages performance.

In any case, because of this uptick in the numbers of cyclists, many of them are young and play-racers. If they aren't riding in very fast packs they are "training" by riding over the local hills and passing me like I'm standing still. Since they're usually more than 40 years younger than me it doesn't bother me.

But I've been noticing that they've all been riding solid black bikes.

I don't know how many of you know that I had a fall and concussion that knocked me out for two whole years. Finally my friend and brother got me to the proper doctor who prescribed the proper medication at the proper dosage and I'm me again. Though some may think that less than desirable.

So since I can't remember what's been going on I've been looking around to discover what these really fast bikes are. High end Italian? French? Even Japanese?

No - it turns out that they're Trek and Cannondale! Before I was knocked out these were considered plain. But now they look to me to be as good as the best in the world!

Any comments?
Old August 9th 13, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 07:30:29 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

[...]

Black's a great colour.
--
davethedave
Old August 9th 13, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/9/2013 9:30 AM, wrote:
[...]

Welcome back, Tom, nice to have you aboard once more.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 9th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, August 9, 2013 7:54:29 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

Welcome back, Tom, nice to have you aboard once more.

Trouble is that while I was out of it I sold or gave away almost my entire bicycle collection. And all of my wardrobe and most of my tools! And now on Social Security I have to VERY slowly make it up. But it's nice to know that those cheaper bikes are every bit as good as the extremely high end stuff I used to have. Though the cost of components now is preposterous!
Old August 9th 13, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

CF is the way....

http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/road

thou shall not want....
Old August 10th 13, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

writes:

[...]

"I see a red door and I want it painted black."

I wish I had a scan of the pic of my flattrack bike in 1980.
AC/DC had just released "Back in Black", and I painted the
frame gloss black, the engine flat black, and the tank and
fender the most amazing "Star Black" (Yamaha paint for their
650 and 750 Special road bikes) - multiple coats sanded
between and finished with a clear that had gold tint in it.

My favorite color is blue, though.
Old August 10th 13, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K

On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:36:18 AM UTC-5, davethedave wrote:
[...]

For a funeral.

:-)

I just passed out whilst riding. Michaelgoround Unicycling 1 August 1st 08 02:57 AM
I just passed out whilst riding. tobbogonist Unicycling 15 July 31st 08 11:15 PM
robyn korshid has passed way [email protected] Australia 0 January 24th 08 01:00 AM
Lance passed Ullrich k.papai Racing 14 July 5th 05 08:52 AM
The creator of the Third Eye mirror has passed away. david moore General 8 February 3rd 04 01:46 AM