Cages replaced on old school pedals?

Old April 23rd 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cages replaced on old school pedals?

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 2:56:21 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

Back in the good/bad old days, the reason you replaced pedal cage plates (typically aluminum) was because they were eaten alive by steel cleats.

-- Jay Beattie

Steel cleats? Its been about 25 years since I used toeclips and cleats, but I am pretty sure my cleats were plastic. Some Duegi shoes. Back in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, were cleats steel? Seems to me they would have been cast aluminum. Not steel.
Old April 23rd 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 7:35:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 2:56:21 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

Back in the good/bad old days, the reason you replaced pedal cage plates (typically aluminum) was because they were eaten alive by steel cleats.

-- Jay Beattie

Steel cleats? Its been about 25 years since I used toeclips and cleats, but I am pretty sure my cleats were plastic. Some Duegi shoes. Back in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, were cleats steel? Seems to me they would have been cast aluminum. Not steel.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat2.JPG I should say metal, although some had steel base plates. Most were aluminum of some sort. I used nail-on cleats for years before getting my first pair of Duigis with plastic bolt-on cleats. Anyway, metal cleats could eat up the edge of a SR pedal.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 23rd 19, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 12:00:46 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just for curiosity.

Did anyone here when using the Old School toe-clip pedals with removable rear kick-tab plates ever need to replace the kick-tab plate on any of their pedals?

If so, why? Broken kick-tab?

Cheers

Thanks all for your input. It seems that back in the days of metal cleats that a replaceable rear pedal plate was useful but with the advent and widespread adoption of plastic or resin cleats the need to replace a plate was very nearly zero. that might explain why one set of 105 pedals has the replaceable cage and the other pair of 105 pedals does not.

Cheers