Road Fork Conversion: 1' to 1 1/8"?

Old February 27th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_170_]

Default Road Fork Conversion: 1' to 1 1/8"?

icebike Wrote:
So has anyone actually tried this idea of using standard 1 1/8" cups
with spacers into a 1" integrated headtube?

Yes.
I found this aluminum MTB frame by the name "Morishima" some years ago.
The frame had been completely plundered out but the size was right and
the weight was acceptable so I decided to build up a bike around it.
Back then I was pretty much completely clueless about the versions of
headsets available, all I knew was that that the LBS didn't have
anything that'd fit between the Marzocchi fork I'd just bought and the
frame. So I went to a pal with a lathe and cut some spacers out of some
old brass pipe fittings and stuck it all together.

Given the fairly unknown brand I simply assumed that the bike had
originally been equipped with some proprietary type of headset, and it
was just last autumn that I found out that the OD of the spacers I'd cut
was an exact match for the OD of integrated bearings for a 1" steerer.

I'll readily admit to being neither the pickiest nor the hardest rider,
but the bike has seen pretty serious use and the headset seems to be
holding up fine.

--
dabac

Old March 1st 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

On Feb 27, 5:30 am, dabac dabac.35g...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
icebike Wrote:

[...]

Very, very interesting - I guess it is all about the tolerances and
the materials . BTW, I have been told that my old TCR Team bike
actually doesn't have an integrated system, but the old "hidden
Aheadset" of the 2001 (?) era - now I am really confused; man, do you
remember when headsets were headsets and all we complained about were
the weird wrenches required for the Shimano AX headsets' locknuts?
Maybe I'll just live with the flexy stock fork....
Old March 1st 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

icebike wrote:
Very, very interesting - I guess it is all about the tolerances and
the materials . BTW, I have been told that my old TCR Team bike
actually doesn't have an integrated system, but the old "hidden
Aheadset" of the 2001 (?) era - now I am really confused; man, do you
remember when headsets were headsets and all we complained about were
the weird wrenches required for the Shimano AX headsets' locknuts?
Maybe I'll just live with the flexy stock fork....

EX and AX series headsets can take both a pair of regular 32mm
Campagnolo wrenches or the lightweight (!) Shimano aluminum wrench set.
(or of course a 30-inch adjustable wrench on the locknut)

The Tange Aero Levin was the one with a special locknut wrench
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 2nd 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

icebike wrote:
Very, very interesting - I guess it is all about the tolerances and
the materials . *BTW, I have been told that my old TCR Team bike
actually doesn't have an integrated system, but the old "hidden
Aheadset" of the 2001 (?) era - now I am really confused; man, do you
remember when headsets were headsets and all we complained about were
the weird wrenches required for the Shimano AX headsets' locknuts?
Maybe I'll just live with the flexy stock fork....

EX and AX series headsets can take both a pair of regular 32mm
Campagnolo wrenches or the lightweight (!) Shimano aluminum wrench set.
(or of course a 30-inch adjustable wrench on the locknut)

The Tange Aero Levin was the one with a special locknut wrench
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

Hi Andrew. Maybe it was the early EX headsets, not the AX, which both
had a special "star"-shaped locknut which required special Shimano
wrenches. It was supposed to stop tool slipping and scuffing the
radically light (at the time) and soft aluminium locknut. One of my
friends had the wrenches, and everyone was borrowing them all the time
so they didn't have to buy an otherwise one-use tool. Either that, or
my memory is going (an equally plausible possibility)
Old March 2nd 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

icebike wrote:
Hi Andrew. Maybe it was the early EX headsets, not the AX, which both
had a special "star"-shaped locknut which required special Shimano
wrenches. It was supposed to stop tool slipping and scuffing the
radically light (at the time) and soft aluminium locknut. One of my
friends had the wrenches, and everyone was borrowing them all the time
so they didn't have to buy an otherwise one-use tool. Either that, or
my memory is going (an equally plausible possibility)

The AX locknut and top race are scalloped from a 32mm blank so you
didn't actually _need_ the lightweight wrench; a regular 32mm wrench
fits perfectly well.