Rear turn signal lights

Old November 11th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

Default Rear turn signal lights

I have been looking at the various offerings for a rear turn signal light.

I see many for $6 - 10, but feel that you get what you pay for.

Most drivers/LEOs don't even know the turn signal hand signs.

Any recommendations would be appreciated or even other options for visibility.

I have plenty of candle power on my front. :-)

Anyone used one of those that have 2 laser beams ?

Thanks,
Andy
Old November 12th 13, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:21:32 -0800 (PST), Andy K
wrote:

I have been looking at the various offerings for a rear turn signal light.

I see many for $6 - 10, but feel that you get what you pay for.

Most drivers/LEOs don't even know the turn signal hand signs.

Any recommendations would be appreciated or even other options for visibility.

I have plenty of candle power on my front. :-)

Anyone used one of those that have 2 laser beams ?

Thanks,
Andy

The laser lights are losers with a catchy name.

I would find a 1-3 watt yellow LED and power it with a cheap Chinese
regulator and a single 18650. Get the LED pre-mounted on an aluminum
star unless you can solder surface mount devices. Somewhere there
should be a clear or yellow housing of a suitable size. Check auto
parts stores, etc.

Alternative - yellow LED taillight replacement bulbs. But then you
need 12 volts. It is limited use, perhaps a switching supply to boost
1 LiIon cell to 12 volts. Again the catch is finding a suitable
housing.

A back-of-the-hand light would be cool, combine hand signals with turn
signal light.