open frame with two top-tubes down the rear axle [photo]

Old July 2nd 17, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default open frame with two top-tubes down the rear axle [photo]

I prefer the closed or diamond frame but for
open frames I think this is my favorite:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/danish.jpg

I asked some guy about it and he said it is
a Danish design and a robust construction.
But actually I don't know.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 2nd 17, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/2/2017 6:26 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I prefer the closed or diamond frame but for
open frames I think this is my favorite:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/danish.jpg

I asked some guy about it and he said it is
a Danish design and a robust construction.
But actually I don't know.

That's what we call a "mixte" frame.

For many years my wife rode a Raleigh with a visually identical frame.
We passed it down to our daughter; then when my daughter got her Terry
bike, the mixte went to another member of our extended family.

Mixte frames have a reputation for being sturdier than the typical
women's frame, with a single top tube brazed into the seat tube perhaps
20 cm above the cranks. But they're not as rigid as a typical men's
frame with a nearly horizontal top tube. We learned this when we put a
rear rack and panniers on my wife's mixte.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 17, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I prefer the closed or diamond frame but for
open frames I think this is my favorite:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/danish.jpg

I asked some guy about it and he said it is
a Danish design and a robust construction.
But actually I don't know.

That's a Mixte frame which I believe was originally a French design. They come in two styles: With or without rear seat stays. I prefer with.
Old July 3rd 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 11:26:44 PM UTC+1, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I prefer the closed or diamond frame but for
open frames I think this is my favorite:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/danish.jpg

I asked some guy about it and he said it is
a Danish design and a robust construction.
But actually I don't know.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

It's a very useful, stiff frame, called a mixte. Here's a version called a Unisex Crossframe Deluxe, which has been in production almost continuously since 1936. This one is my Utopia Kranich, made in this century, but the linked document shows the original bikes from which my monster was developed:
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html
And here is a description of how all that stiffness is applied to making a superior-handling, very fast, very secure bike:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3798.15

A bicycle with a frame in one dimension, in which a single tube runs straight from the head tube to low down on seat tube, with perhaps an extra stay each side from seat tube to to frame end between the chain- and seat-stays (or often not) is not a mixte, it is a trapeze frame or a paralellogram frame. The distinct feature of the mixte family is that there are two bars running either side of the seat tube all the way from the head tube to the rear dropout. Here's a case where I analyzed a frame put forward by some less discriminating members of RBT as a mixte, when it was no such thing, and pitifully overpriced to boot, compared to European frames with superior breeding:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.bicycles.tech/WHY$20A$20WATERFORD$20BIKE$20IS$20A$20JOKE/rec.bicycles.tech/LqY0UpZTIP0/KW_fz6H3sbQJ

Andre Jute

Old July 3rd 17, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3798.0

A bicycle with a frame in one dimension, in which a single tube runs straight from the head tube to low down on seat tube, with perhaps an extra stay each side from seat tube to to frame end between the chain- and seat-stays (or often not) is not a mixte, it is a trapeze frame or a paralellogram frame. The distinct feature of the mixte family is that there are two bars running either side of the seat tube all the way from the head tube to the rear dropout. Here's a case where I analyzed a frame put forward by some less discriminating members of RBT as a mixte, when it was no such thing, and pitifully overpriced to boot, compared to European frames with superior breeding:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.bicycles.tech/WHY$20A$20WATERFORD$20BIKE$20IS$20A$20JOKE/rec.bicycles.tech/LqY0UpZTIP0/KW_fz6H3sbQJ

Andre Jute
Experienced