Yosemite Le Conte Shimano Nexus 3 SP [photo]

Old July 7th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Yosemite Le Conte Shimano Nexus 3 SP [photo]

Today was something new, namely this Yosemite
Le Conte. It is a cheap bike to buy brand new
and then throw away. This one might be only
a couple of years old.

There are several things I don't like about it.
First it is black which is the most boring and
depressive "color", also it hints at the
factory hoping to sell it to as many people as
possible, as black is the most neutral color.
The text is white which is the second most
boring color. It says the URL of the huge shop
on the seat stays. But the worst thing about it
is that the hex bolts all over the bike also
has Phillips openings!

Compared to the bikes I usually deal with it is
a lot different. The fork doesn't have the
block in the middle but only to blades and
a tube. The hand brake isn't the side pull one
but a V-brake. The rims are double-walled
aluminium 6061. Pedals are rubber, not steel.

The rear hub isn't the Torpedo 3 SP but
a Shimano Nexus 3 SP, with a grip shifter.

The Nexus 3 SP got me a little scared at first
since the box looked so high-tech. But when
I opened it up it was the simplest thing ever.
Instead of the Torpedo little chain pulling
a rod, here is a little lever *pushing* a rod.
Superficially at least very much the same.
This one has a housing all the way to the gear
mechanism, of course.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/...e-le-conte.jpg

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 8th 17, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 7/6/2017 4:46 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today was something new, namely this Yosemite
Le Conte. It is a cheap bike to buy brand new
and then throw away. This one might be only
a couple of years old.

There are several things I don't like about it.
First it is black which is the most boring and
depressive "color", also it hints at the
factory hoping to sell it to as many people as
possible, as black is the most neutral color.

But it has a bell in a lovely contrasting purple!

[Looks like a pretty functional utility bike to me, for folks who want
to go mostly slow on mostly flat streets]

Mark J.

Old July 8th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Mark J. wrote:

But it has a bell in a lovely
contrasting purple!

If only the entire bike was in purple, then
I could accept the bell being black

[Looks like a pretty functional utility bike
to me, for folks who want to go mostly slow
on mostly flat streets]

Indeed, that's what it is.

Old July 8th 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:Mark J. wrote:

: But it has a bell in a lovely
: contrasting purple!

:If only the entire bike was in purple, then
:I could accept the bell being black

Has spray paint reached Sweeden yet?

--
It makes me feel good knowing that with extensive training, weight
loss and a large capital expenditure, I can fly further than a
Old July 8th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

David Scheidt wrote:

Has spray paint reached Sweeden yet?

No, nor has the infinity time machine...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

dismantled my Shimano Nexus 8 hub Ian Smith UK 7 September 23rd 08 05:32 PM
shimano nexus 8 hub gear raisethe Techniques 24 May 22nd 07 05:27 PM
FS: Shimano 8spd Nexus hub Jeffrey C. Jay Marketplace 0 July 6th 05 12:53 PM
Shimano Nexus and Brompton Ric UK 5 January 8th 04 12:34 AM
Shimano nexus 7 hub Anders S. Clausen UK 4 November 4th 03 01:26 AM