Campy compact front dérailleur - does it help w/ limited braze-on adjustment?

Old July 3rd 05, 01:37 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Campy compact front dérailleur - does it help w/ limited braze-on adjustment?

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:00:55 GMT, Paul Kopit wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:49:58 GMT, richard
wrote:

I have two bikes with compact cranks
- an FSA and an El Cheep-O Nashbar. Both shift great with a current
(non CT!) Centaur.

Same chainrings on Nashbar and FSA. Look at the code numbers on the
back of the ring. It's a number like WSS ???.

It must have been too good to be true. I noticed that the Nashbar
website no longer has a compact crankset to offer.
Old July 3rd 05, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Paul Kopit wrote:
On 2 Jul 2005 06:38:48 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Well, I don't like the Campagnolo CT front der all that well when onto
a FSA compact using a Wipperman chain BUT using a Campagnolo CT crank
and Campagnolo chain, it works wonderfully. Try that before you paint
it as 'crap'.

Chains: IRD, Campy, Wipperman, and Shimano. Performance is not
better than Centaur, etc. Campy. IRD CT works better but not better
than Campy regular derailleurs. Campy regular hangs lower with a
braze than the CT. Stupid.

As I asked, tried it with a Campagnolo CT crank?

Didn't think so.

Old July 3rd 05, 07:44 PM
Eagle Jackson

Which fder do you like with FSA compact and Wipperman chain? I
switched my set up from DA 9sp with Sachs chain to Chorus 10s with
Chorus CT fder and Wipperman chain, both with an FSA compact. The
Chorus CT fder does not shift well at all from the small ring to big
ring, whereas my DA fder had no trouble. Does the normal Chorus fder
work better?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Paul Kopit wrote:

Don't get the Campy CT, it's crap and doesn't work properly. It will
hang no lower. Use your existing front derailleur first and see if it
goes low enough. Chances are it will shift fine too.

Regular Campy front derailleurs do ok with 50t rings. You can file a
bit off the bottom of the hanger to get the front derailleur lower.
If the front derailleur is 5 mm above the chainring and the shifting
is good, forget about the problem.

The IRD Compact works better than the Campy CT.

Old July 4th 05, 01:36 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Eagle Jackson wrote:
Which fder do you like with FSA compact and Wipperman chain? I
switched my set up from DA 9sp with Sachs chain to Chorus 10s with
Chorus CT fder and Wipperman chain, both with an FSA compact.

Yes, the normal dbl front der with a chainwatcher.

Old July 6th 05, 08:31 PM
Scott

MQ wrote:
Hi,

I am considering a move to a campy compact crankset (50x34) on an
existing bike (2002 colnago c40) which has a braze-on front dérailleur.
Looking at where the dérailleur is for my current setup (53x39), there
does not seem to be much if any room on the braze-on to mount a new
dérailleur lower. My question is: Does anything about the design of the
compact specific campy front dérailleur help compensate for this
possible limitation or am I simply SOL if the braze-on is too short and
does not allow that much adjustment?

Thanks in advance,

MQ

I just moved to Record CT (50/34) crank on my Bianchi. Kept the
existing Chorus BO FD. It shifts perfectly, albeit a hair slower than
with the old 53/39.

Save your money.

Scott