Advice needed for cranks that use self-extracting crank bolts for Campy 9 spd

Old July 6th 05, 03:35 AM
Alan

Default Advice needed for cranks that use self-extracting crank bolts for Campy 9 spd

I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

Thanks,

Alan

Old July 6th 05, 04:30 AM
philcycles

Alan wrote:
I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

Thanks,

Alan

If you use the S&S case you won'thave to pull the cranks. In fact, I'd
make sure I didn't have to pull the cranks.
Phil Brown

Old July 6th 05, 06:26 AM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:35:26 +0000, Alan wrote:

I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

I don't think it's a good idea to regularly pull the cranks, no matter
what design. Self-extracting bolts don't help here, either. Such
components are not designed for frequent removal and replacement.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 6th 05, 09:08 PM

Alan wrote:
I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up.

Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

Not what you asked but: How about just taking the pedals off?
--TP

Old July 6th 05, 09:10 PM

"Alan" wrote:

I have bought an S & S coupled frame and need to add a crank that will
easily come off when I want to pack it up. I usually use Campy triple
cranks as I am running Campy 9 spd but I could go compact or some other
brand in a triple if it worked better. I already stripped out a Campy
crank when the add-on self-extracting bolts self-destructed and wiped out
the threads on the crank. Any thoughts about a good way to go that is
reasonably priced? Any triple cranks that come with self-extracting bolts?

Thanks,

Alan

Can you find a case that will accomodate with the crank arms with
pedals off? Constant removal of what is an interferance fit of sorts
is not likely to be good for the soft aluminum. Assuming you keep
your current set up, I'd try to figure out just what amount of torque
you need to put on bolts to affix them so your removal forces are not
so hard on the self extracting bolts.

I don't know if a splined crank assy still exists but you might be a
candidate for that.

Wes

--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Old July 6th 05, 10:35 PM
Sheldon Brown

David L. Johnson wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to regularly pull the cranks, no matter
what design. Self-extracting bolts don't help here, either. Such
components are not designed for frequent removal and replacement.

I agree. This might be a good application for one of the new two-piece
cranksets, such as the "10-speed" Ultegra.

Sheldon "Slave Of Fashion" Brown
| A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually |
| on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; |
| no religious basis is necessary. |
| Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be |
| restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward |
| after death. --Albert Einstein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 6th 05, 10:54 PM
Peter

David L. Johnson wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to regularly pull the cranks, no matter
what design. Self-extracting bolts don't help here, either. Such
components are not designed for frequent removal and replacement.

I agree. This might be a good application for one of the new two-piece
cranksets, such as the "10-speed" Ultegra.

The cranks on my travel bike need to be removed to pack it in its
suitcase and they've been on and off a few dozen times without any
apparent harm. They're the old '8-speed' Ultegra with square tapers and
self-extracting bolts.