rear brake rub

Old March 1st 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim F

Default rear brake rub

I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather road
bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the
same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly
cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.

What gives?

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter

Old March 1st 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

JF writes

I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on
my Raleigh wet weather road bike rubs the rim no
matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the same
side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly cleaning the whole thing
and reinstalling switching one of the washers on the axle
to the other side adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.
What gives?

...no mention of trouble-shooting the brake lever...just curious.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old March 1st 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_150_]

Jim F Wrote:
I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on my Raleigh wet weather
road
bike rubs the rim no matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side,
the
same side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly
cleaning the whole thing and reinstalling
switching one of the washers on the axle to the other side
adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.

What gives?

--
JF

"Here comes the lightening and here comes the thunder. Ride on the
storm and
take it to the sea. "
- Jim Hunter

Try the arch spring tension adjustment... and maybe you will need to
recenter the arms as well.

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830615949.pdf

--
daveornee

Old March 1st 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo.../8DD0A-001_BR-...

--
daveornee

I had the same issue with an old Trek of mine. The problem for my
bike was the axle/brake bridge drilling interface was a hair loose, so
it wandered no matter how I tightened and adjusted. I solved the
problem with: 1) a slightly larger (hex key) nut which fit the recess
more tightly; 2) a star washer on the flat side of the brake bridge;
3) and a homemade thin plastic sleeve wrapped around the axle. I don't
know if your bike has the same problem, but I would definitely check.
Old March 1st 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Michael Baldwin wrote:
JF writes

I can't figure it out. My Ultegra rear brake on
my Raleigh wet weather road bike rubs the rim no
matter what. It's rubbing on the non-drive side, the same
side the cable runs on. I have tried:
tightening the holding bolt really tightly cleaning the whole thing
and reinstalling switching one of the washers on the axle
to the other side adding washers to the holding bolts
replacing the brake cable
shortening the brake cable housing
I even tried duct tape.
What gives?

..no mention of trouble-shooting the brake lever...just curious.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

i'd start with adjusting the spring adjusting screw which centers the brake!

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old March 3rd 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim F

Jim F Wrote:

[...]

This is annoying. Thanks for the BR-6600 pdf Tech instructions, though
daveornee. Very helpful. Unfortunately I am not much better off. I
cleaned and reinstalled the brake, along with fresh cable. I replaced the
washer on the brake side with a star washer and I thought that would do it.
Not quite. No. I should've thought of adjusting the centering adjustment
bolt but it hasn't resolved it either.

I don't think I can fit a larger hex nut. What would a thin plastic sleeve
wrapped around the axle do?

Thanks.

Old March 4th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

Jim F Wrote:

[...]

- Jim Hunter- Hide quoted text -

I assumed you tried adjusting the centering adjustment right off the
bat. If you didn't even try that, you might want to take your bike to
a more experienced mechanic who can analyse and solve your problem.
If you read my post carefully, I stated my brake was slipping because
the brake axle and the brake bridge drilling had too much play. I
solved it with: 1) hex nut with a slightly wider head (easily found at
your local shop which usually has a bin o' loose parts)which fit more
tightly with the recessed side of the brake bridge; and 2) a thin
plastic sleeve (which reduced the excess play). Again, this worked on
my specific situation - don't assume it will solve your own problem.
I only offer it up as a possibility. Without actually looking at the
bike, everyone is really only guessing at the cause and a solution.
This definitely should be a solvable problem, caused by something like
a brake bridge face not perpendicular to the axle drilling; or by axle
threads that are cut too short and the hex nut is tightening against
the axle, but not against the brake bridge. But like I said, we are
only guessing. Best of luck.
Old March 4th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

Jim F Wrote:

[...]

only guessing. *Best of luck.- Hide quoted text -

Also, Mike Baldwin makes a good point: check your brake lever. Maybe
someone forgot to use a housing cap....
Old March 5th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim F

"icebike" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 11:41 pm, icebike wrote:
On Mar 3, 3:48 pm, "Jim F" wrote:

"icebike" wrote...

[...]

How would that make the brake rub?

I can always steal my wife's DA brake.

Old March 5th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
icebike

On Mar 4, 8:09*pm, "Jim F" wrote:
"icebike" wrote in message

On Mar 3, 11:41 pm, icebike wrote:

On Mar 3, 3:48 pm, "Jim F" wrote:

"icebike" wrote...

[...]

Another theory of course: depending on the type of cable stop inherent
in the brake lever, the metal coil of the cable can slide out of the
outer plastic coating just enough to "shorten" the overall length.
But I digress - I'm only blowing smoke without actually looking at the
bike and it could easily be a hundred other things. If you are
determined to fix it yourself, apply Occam's Razor and a bit of
patience. Start with the wheel, then wheel/frame alignment, and work
it out systematically.

changing a rear disk brake to a rim brake Jeremy Watts[_2_] Mountain Biking 4 November 29th 07 04:22 PM
converting rear disk brake to block brake Jeremy Watts[_2_] Mountain Biking 4 October 22nd 07 03:40 PM
rear fixed brake lybarra Techniques 1 March 23rd 06 07:22 AM
Rear Brake Mount [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 October 19th 05 11:18 AM
XT V Brake front or rear Steve Walford UK 7 May 28th 04 08:46 PM