"I crashed my bike so hard my eye turned the wrong way round"

Old October 11th 11, 05:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "I crashed my bike so hard my eye turned the wrong way round"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ed...6908-23481104/

I crashed my bike so hard my eye turned the wrong way round

Oct 11 2011Brian Mciver

gordon dickson Image 1

IT’S probably just as well Gordon Dickson can’t remember what happened
when he smashed into a rock so hard that his left eye was turned the
wrong way round.

He also has no recollection of air ambulance paramedics battling to
bring him back to life twice in the skies over the Lothians.

Gordon, 43, has been a cycle adventurer most of his life and has
competed in mountain bike competitions all over Europe.

A self-employed joiner, married to Hazel, he often disappeared up
mountains with the sole intention of hurtling down them at dangerous
speeds.

In his many years of taking part in the sport, however, he had never
sustained any serious injuries – until he smashed his head on a rock
in Glentress four years ago.

He broke bones all over his face and flat-lined twice.

“All I know is I was out to do some racing that day and warming up, so
did a practice run down the course with my mates,” said Gordon, from
Carluke, Lanarkshire.

“To this day I have no memory of what happened next.

“It’s all come from friends who were there, doctors and my wife.

“I just remember setting off and then it’s two weeks later and I’m
wondering what I’m doing and where I am.

“The first I realised how bad the accident had been was when I looked
in the mirror and saw my bruising and scarring. It was a scary
reflection.”

Doctors believe Gordon must have taken a firm impact to the side of
his head, with only his helmet saving his life.

He said: “Around the eye socket was all smashed. They were worried I
was going to lose it because it was so out of position.

“The eye was reversed when I got to hospital – it wasn’t looking out,
it was looking in – and I had bit of a scare with it. But it came back
around and it’s fine.

“I also broke a few ribs and had other wounds but I managed to heal
pretty quickly.

“The doctors said there was technically brain damage, but nothing
lasting or anything to worry about long term.”

Within six months, Gordon was back on a bike.

And he was so grateful to the air ambulance paramedics who saved him,
he decided to go to extreme lengths to say thank you – competing in
the toughest mountain bike race on earth to raise money.

In March, Gordon won a competition in What Mountain Bike magazine to
race in Canadian wilderness challenge the TransRockies, which
stretches across the mountains of Alberta.

And despite his own terrible injuries on the Glentress track, near
Peebles, he decided to compete to raise funds for the Scottish Air
Ambulance Service and UK biking charity the Stephen Murray Stay Strong
Foundation.

Gordon’s brave return to the saddle saw him sail through the 600km
ride, teaming up with English rider Mark Almond (above, left) for Team
What Mountain Bike.

And every stretch of the way he was thinking about the air paramedics
who had saved his life.

“I know that without the Scottish Air Ambulance Service I wouldn’t
have survived my crash,” said Gordon, who has so far raised almost
£1000 for the
life-saving organisation.

“I have always wanted to thank them and this seemed like the best way
to do that – making my own wee gesture really.

“The sense of achievement when we crossed the finish line was
immense.

“Near the end, I saw a guy who had come off the bike and got a bad
injury.

“He was being airlifted away by the air ambulance and it made me
realise what I was doing it for – and made me even more grateful to
the Scottish Air Ambulance guys who had saved my life.”

For more information on the TransRockies race, visit www.transrockies.com
Old October 12th 11, 04:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak 44

On Oct 11, 12:39*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ed...0/11/i-crashed...

I crashed my bike so hard my eye turned the wrong way round

Did you get it hard in jail? Are the rumors true?