A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hermanns H-One S Light

Old November 4th 13, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster

Default Hermanns H-One S Light

On 11/4/2013 11:49 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:

snip

O.K., you and everyone else stop with the "bill on extra hour" thing. I doesn't work that way. Anyway, I think I'm headed the SuperNova direction, albeit reluctantly -- and after I pay my property tax bill. Yikes. I'm moving out of Portland.

We all know you're not like that
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rex-burkholder/portlands-bicycle-revolut_b_3861490.html?utm_hp_ref=green

Does Oregon have limits in annual increases in property taxes? We'd have
to move if we had to pay the property tax based on current value.

Remember Benjamin Franklin's quote: “The bitterness of poor quality
remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” When it
comes to dynamo lights it's not just the quality of the construction,
it's the quality of the design.

Maybe you should wait and see if the Bumm Cyo re-design fixes the
existing issues. According to Andre it's coming this month. May not be
as good as the Supernova because it's StVZO compliant, but might be good
enough. Haven't seen any mention of this new light except in r.b.t. so
if it's real then they're keeping it quiet to prevent Osborning
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/osborning.asp.

Ads
Old November 4th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:37:56 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

I'll remember that every time someone tells me a Chinese flashlight is the best bike headlight. Thanks! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 5th 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:53:37 PM UTC, Jay Beattie wrote:
The available reviews seem to be incomplete or inconclusive. I puts out a claimed 95 lux. The design has apparently changed since it was first released. Anyone familiar with this light? I'm scoping out my dyno set up, and this one looks cheap and available through the same people selling the PV-8..

-- Jay Beattie.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herrmans-H-O...item4178c953ad

Haven't used Herman's lamp myself (he makes the finest gummigrips in the world, and cheap too, found on a lot of expensive bikes, including my Utopia until replaced with Brooks leather) but according to a fellow I trust in The Netherlands it would be a mistake to buy his lamp. Scout around for a first series BUMM Cyo, or wait for the new Cyo Premium later this month. Despite its problems (absence of flash mode, not enough side- and over-spill, need for fenders because it isn't watertight from below), the first series Cyo is still the best reasonably priced all-round lamp available. The Premium, due soon, may fix these problems (BUMM claims it does but they are the least reliable source of information about the performance of their products), and new problems (wretched daylight running LEDs, hotspot) introduced by the subsequent models of the Cyo.

Andre Jute
Old November 5th 13, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 4, 2013 1:13:10 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2013 3:37:56 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

I'll remember that every time someone tells me a Chinese flashlight is the best bike headlight. Thanks! ;-)

I could have used ten Chinese flashlights going home tonight -- dark, raining and tons of car headlights. Headlights hit my rain soaked glasses, and it's impossible to see anything.

Anyway, I was at the rack getting ready to leave my building when an elevator acquaintance rides past with his blinding helmet light (blinding only because it is at eye level), and I notice that he has a generator. He also has two mi-newt sized battery powered headlamps plus a generator light (four forward-facing lights, not all on at the time). He says the generator adds a lot of drag, and his light (OEM on the bike, I think) is a old incandescent, so it doesn't put out much light. He also had a hoop light in his front wheel and a rear flasher (only one as I recall). Dude has candle power. Another regular at the rack was getting ready to go home with his 2w blinky and wool beanie.

So, final story, I almost got wiped out by a cyclist tonight. I was passing another cyclist, and this other cyclist about clips me coming around. He had a head of steam coming down a hill, and I was taking off from a light at the bottom of the hill. He ran out of gas about 100 yards later, and I rode by. Typical. It used to be that the goobers would stay home after the rains came, but not anymore. Throw in all the piles of slippery leaves, and its a nightmare this time of year.

-- Jay Beattie.