spoke key wire gauge

Old May 31st 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default spoke key wire gauge

On 5/31/2017 5:22 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:02:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/31/2017 4:03 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:42:42 PM UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:08:09 PM UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
What are the digits on the spoke key?

It seems 14 and 15 are those mostly used on the bikes
I see.

Here is what units(1) has in
/usr/share/units/definitions.units , but it seems none
of those match my spoke key. (?)

Some slots are very wide by the way - perhaps to be
used on MC spokes?

Some sports cars also have spoked wheels. Usually short very heavy gauge
spokes.

If you mean the Dunlop wheels found on Jaguar of a certain age, and
Borrani on Maserati of the same age, those are sturdy precisely because of
their short spokes. If the car is neglected, though, any corrosion in
those wheels can be either expensive or lethal,

I assumed everyone would get that without spelling it out - was I wrong?

It's possible. Most cyclist are probably too young ever to have seen a real automobile wire wheel, never mind handled one. Ask Muzi what's the average age of the little English sports car masochists. -- AJ

I'm no expert but I'm considered young in that crowd.

BTW wire wheels[1] are cute and retro but inefficient in so
many ways besides being undependable. Add in rust, inner
tubes etc and pressed steel wheels are the logical choice
(modern light alloy wheels even more).

[1]1965 MGB

Hmm. Jobst said that during cooling, cast wheels contract, so there is residual tension in the spokes of cast wheels. So, do you really think there is any difference?

When I was young, car shops had prominent signs, "not
responsible for alloy wheels" because they were brittle,
porous and undependable on tire changing machines.

Alloys and fabrication techniques have come a long way.
Compare Alan cast aluminum lugs to today's modern hydroform
aluminum tube, etc. Similarly, crank arm fractures have
declined dramatically, even though absolute numbers of
aluminum cranks are much higher now. These are natural
engineering advancements in materials and fabrication;
rigor, not magic.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 1st 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Thank God for engineers!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 1st 17, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 31 May 2017 07:35:59 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/30/2017 9:17 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:21:37 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

-snip gauges-

I had a English machinist work for me once who had worked for a
British tank (as in war weapon) maker who told a story about his
company building a tank to NATO standard drawings. After working for a
month it was found that the turret wouldn't fit the body of the tank
because the number of decimal places used to convert the metric
measurements to inch measurements was different from one part to
another.

Hence the well-worn quip, "Close enough for government work"

When I lived in Maine the saying was "Good enough for a fish boat :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 17, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely not. Cooling a casting the includes what could very loosely be considered spokes does NOT put additional pressure on the spokes. The entire casting shrinks equally.
Old June 1st 17, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Jeez what an egotist.
Old June 1st 17, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Quite a few years back, there was a fatal crash involving a police BMW
motorcycle caused by cast alloy wheel failure.

An inspection of the rest of the fleet turned up that most of them had
micro-fractures in the rims.

There was a lot of taunting about Germany leading the cause for type
approval testing.

Old June 1st 17, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

I have now inspected a Cyclo multi-tool and it
has three slots for spoke nipples: one 0.127",
one 0.136", and one 14GE.

Another multi-tool I have from Asaklitt
("Swedish" brand in the low-middle range) has
a spoke key with three slots: 14G, 15G, and
0.136".

The spoke key that made me start this thread
has 10, 11, 12, 13 as well as two slots each of
14 and 15.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 1st 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:

Another multi-tool I have from Asaklitt
("Swedish" brand in the low-middle range) has
a spoke key with three slots: 14G, 15G, and
0.136".

This spoke key is more than meets the eye!
I just now discovered four more slots for spoke
nipples. And those aren't even marked!
Like I said, low-middle range... (I suppose
a calipers is to inexact and there isn't enough
space for the micrometer to get inside to
determine what those are )

Old June 1st 17, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
[...]

Doug - have you ever worked with casting metal? I have. You are implying that for some reason the cast spokes would cool differently than the rest of the casting - what gives you the idea that that would happen in a casting shop?

wire spoke history Jezrant Techniques 36 April 26th 10 11:50 AM
What gauge of spoke do I have? !Jones[_2_] Techniques 38 August 6th 09 08:35 PM
Spoke gauge incredulous Techniques 10 February 7th 09 09:58 AM
Spoke Gauge vs Wire Gauge G. Huang Techniques 3 August 13th 05 09:13 AM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM