Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

Old July 17th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On 7/17/2017 10:33 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:36:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:50:00 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:40:27 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Order some larger patches?
http://www.gemplers.com/tube-repair

I dunno about that. Something like this 2" x 6" patch?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/9D/Rema-6L-x-2W-Oval-Tube-Patch
It requires cold vulcanizing fluid 7A or G50T.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/7A
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G50T
At 10 patches for $25 plus chemicals, talc, shipping, and taxes,
methinks using $5 Canadian polymer banknotes might be cheaper.

Notice that the instructions at:
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tube-repair.htm
are for an automobile tire inner tube. For bicycle tubes, methinks it
might be best to apply the rather large patch on a rounded mandrel
with a diameter slightly smaller than the bicycle tire, instead of the
traditional flat surface. That should prevent any wrinkling,
stretching, or excess tension on the patch when installed and
inflated.

Has my memory gotten that bad or wasn't the point of this discussion
about tears in the sidewalls of tires and not large tears in tubes?

I read it as fixing the thick expensive inner tube. The original
question:

was unclear as what was being patched. The mention of leaking air was
sufficient to convince me the question was about patching the tube,
especially since patching the side wall of the tire is not
recommended.

Customer complaint telephone call just now. It seems that we
cheating lying *******s sold a woman a Rema patch kit for $2
last summer and then yesterday it utterly failed to seal a
vinyl air mattress.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 17th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

That's the way that you evil businessmen are. Always trying to take advantage of a poor defenseless woman.
Old July 17th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

[...]

The customer is always right
Old July 17th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Duane" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through
and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Somehow that never worked for me - I've heard of people soaking a patch
of
denim in rubber solution, but I've never tried that (yet).

Canada started making their money out of plastic. Works the charm for a
temporary patch in a slit tire.

So did the UK - but you get change from buying a new inner tube with the
lowest denomination folding money.

If the outer tyre was that bad, I'd just sit the rim in it to eliminate the
grinding burrs that would damage the replacement.

Old July 17th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

With a tear in the sidewall - its not like it makes much difference.

Old July 17th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

Years ago I was standing in a TV shop and witnessed some little old lady
handing over £10 for changing the PP3 battery in a pocket radio. Back then;
£10 was a decent wedge.

When I serviced TVs & monitors - I never told a customer the tube was gone
when it wasn't. I never got rich like the shops - but not a penny of what I
made went on advertising.

Old July 17th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote:

[...]

And some customers can be all the right they like - someplace
else...............

Old July 17th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

On 2017-07-16 11:21, Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive
at around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of
1/10" or so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they
hiss through and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Somehow that never worked for me - I've heard of people soaking a patch
of denim in rubber solution, but I've never tried that (yet).

That sounds discouraging. I have ordered another thick tube yesterday.
Found it on EBay for $11. It would be nice not to have to throw away so
much stuff after just one event.

Self sealing inner tubes have started turning up on shop shelves - they're
not all *THAT* much more expensive, I just CBA trying one.

Old July 17th 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 17/07/2017 3:07 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Duane" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
[...]

I think you're sort of missing the point. I'm 50k from civilization and
I split my tire. I use this as a patch to get somewhere that sells tires.
Old July 17th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

"Duane" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

"Joerg" wrote in message
Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires.
Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of
1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through
and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Somehow that never worked for me - I've heard of people soaking a
patch of
denim in rubber solution, but I've never tried that (yet).

Canada started making their money out of plastic. Works the charm for a
temporary patch in a slit tire.

so does a US dollar bill

TUBE PATCH GLUE datakoll Techniques 6 February 13th 13 01:24 AM
Tube patch - rubber cement question and warning. dgk General 3 November 12th 12 01:18 AM
tube patch glues kolldata Techniques 76 October 6th 11 02:49 PM
latex tube patch? Charles Beristain Techniques 4 July 27th 07 09:53 PM
Flat & Tube Patch question(s) [email protected] Techniques 7 November 27th 06 04:30 AM