Rebuilding oldies but goodies.

Old August 11th 17, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rebuilding oldies but goodies.

I found a Pinarello Stelvio on eBay for a reasonable price and bought it. It turns out that the frame under the paint was chromed.

I took the fork in to be completely chromed and what appears to have happened is that rather than rechrome it they stripped off the paint and polished what was there. Since the only problem with the chrome fork now is a couple of pin pricks I can't complain. Chrome has a nasty habit of peeling off in sheets if conditions aren't perfect so it's probably better to use nearly perfect chrome than take the chance.

The rest of the frame is off to the powder coater. I found some metallic blue powder on the Internet and he had to special order it so it will be another week or so.

The Decals are in but I must say that these things are way more expensive that they're worth.

After the decals are installed I have to clear coat with with urethane. Now this is a problem. Urethane is poisonous while in droplets. Should I spray it myself of take it to one of the local car painters to clear coat it? And if so how to I explain to then that it takes several light coats and not one heavy coat to keep from washing the decals off. I don't speak Spanish and this is California.

I ordered another set of those Scirroco CX wheels from probikekit and I expect to have them next week. I have a set of Michelin Endurance tires. The one's I have on my Eddy Merckx are knock out easy rolling. Noticeably better than the Gatorskins.

Hopefully I can get a 10 speed record carbon compact group before the turn of the century but one can never be sure of anything these days. In order to have a normal top speed on the compact a 12 or perhaps an 11 small cog should bring speed back to normal. Though the business is trying to jam 11 speeds down our throats. There's always Miche which is improving a great deal with their shifting lifts. The only problem is the weight. A steel bike needs light components.

I have a set of 44 cm handlebars and intend to use a converter to make the Record threaded headset fit a threadless. You simply cannot get good threaded stems anymore. And they're heavy to say the least.

The Pinarello is almost a copy of my Basso. Same tubing except internal rear brake cable and an inch shorter wheelbase. These are perhaps the one weak area of the Basso. The external brake cable always gets in the way on the repair stand. And the super-light Didiaccia tubing flexes just the slightest on hard descents. A shorter wheelbase should improve that.

I really like the KMC gold chain and intend to get another for the Pinarello.