new to discs - squeeky when wet !

Old November 20th 04, 09:40 PM
Steve Walton

Default new to discs - squeeky when wet !

Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

now they squeek !
I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
but they still squeek,

do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

Steve
Old November 21st 04, 02:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Steve Walton
') wrote:

Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

now they squeek !
I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
but they still squeek,

Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
with methylated spirit does help a lot.

' ' ------- this blank intentionally spaced left

Old November 21st 04, 02:44 PM
Paul - xxx

Steve Walton vaguely muttered something like ...
Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

now they squeek !
I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
but they still squeek,

do I just apply a little pressure and wait for the pads to dry out ?

That can help ..

Best thing I found is to use a little Copper based anti-seize grease on the
pad sliding areas and pins.

Copaslip is good .. but use it very sparingly and don't get any on or near
the braking surfaces. A small tin will last a lifetime ..

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 21st 04, 02:46 PM
Steve Walton

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:35:07 GMT, Simon Brooke
wrote:

in message , Steve Walton
') wrote:

Just replaced bike, now have Hydro Discs
First time wet - muddy water, gentle wash down afterwards

now they squeek !
I've checked, cleaned and dried the discs
but they still squeek,

Yes, they do, some makes worse than others. My Hayes HFX-9s are
reasonably quiet, but not exceptional in any other ways. Hope Minis,
which are very good brakes, tend to squeak badly. Cleaning the rotors
with methylated spirit does help a lot.

--

cheers, I hammered them hard and they are better, had issue with the
pads just gripping - better now they've dried.

Steve

Discs shrieking. why? Ben Mountain Biking 6 December 1st 04 12:01 AM
Juddering Shim. Hydr. Discs Neil Cameron Mountain Biking 3 November 23rd 04 04:10 PM
squeeky front brake! Darren General 3 September 2nd 03 08:01 AM
technical query: Shimano discs martin UK 4 July 18th 03 10:56 AM