50k and thanks

Old July 7th 05, 03:10 AM
R.Constantine

Default 50k and thanks

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:13:17 -0400, Strayhorn wrote:

n Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:13:17 -0400, Strayhorn wrote:

I did my first 50k ride this past weekend, an event promoted by The Spin
Cycle in Cary NC. Had a great time and felt wonderful after the ride
even given the hills and heat.

That may seem small beans to folks here who do twice and even four times
that daily. But to a 51-year-old guy who just a year ago was pottering
around on his old college Raleigh SuperCourse, it was a major event.

So I want to say "thanks" to the guys who responded so kindly to my post
many months back about the best and most economical way to upgrade an
older bike. I saved those posts and emails and started my search at the
landfill, yard sales and swap meets. I started with a Trek 330 I found
at a moving sale for $8. Better wheels, tires and drivetrain came bits
at a time as they were found. The only thing I had to order was a set of
Sora brifters from Harris Cyclery. All told, I only have $256 in this
bike and it fits like a glove. The price is important to someone who has
two kids in college.

Thanks, guys, and I hope I can return the karma some day.

Since no one else said, I will. WAY TO GO!! Congrats on your ride and keep
it up. I just started riding seriously around the first of the year and
know that feeling of making a personal best. congrats again
rob