Long ride yesterday

Old September 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Servojohn

Default Long ride yesterday

Rode the 35th Harmon Hundred yesterday, attempting to do the 75 mile
loop riding the Limbo. I put a Stlevio on the rear, gave up the one on
the front(pinch flat during training, rim is too wide for a 1 1/8" wide
tire). Low 90's with a southwest wind, beautiful if a bit warm.
First, a near 40lb. bike with rear suspension is definitely not made
for riding distances, especially with some hills. I knew this, but was
surprised and aggravated by how much energy this setup draws out of a
rider. Second, I should have put the original cluster back on(32 or 34
tooth max) or a smaller inner ring on the crank. I had installed a 28
tooth max cluster a few weeks ago, and that cost me. Third, the engine
could certainly use more conditioning, and less body weight. I've
dropped 10-12 lbs since mid summer, but still have a ways to go.
Conclusion?

Leg cramps suck, and yes I was drinking plenty.

Goal?

Next year for the century on a lighter, unsuspended 'bent, with a
lighter rider on board!

It was still a personal best this short season, 53 miles.

Other 'bents I came across yesterday included a couple of Bachettas,
Rans tandem, Lightning P38 with rear wind sock, and a couple of Easy
Racers, all of which could easily outclimb me.

Best regards,

John

Old September 12th 05, 04:25 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Servojohn" wrote

Leg cramps suck, and yes I was drinking plenty.

Take anything (e.g., calcium) for the leg cramps?
Which muscles were cramping?

Jon Meinecke

Old September 12th 05, 05:39 PM
Servojohn

90% Gatorade. Typically the quads are what go, but they were the "new"
quads on the inside, not the ones on the top outside. As I mentioned,
I've only been putting in 75 miles a week since mid summer, so this was
a test of where I am physically, if nothing else.

JHH

Old September 12th 05, 07:31 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Servojohn" wrote

90% Gatorade.

You might try eating a banana on long rides or taking
calcium supplements (check with your doctor, etc...).
Did you try a quad muscle stretch?

Typically the quads are what go, but they were the "new"
quads on the inside, not the ones on the top outside.

Rarely, I used to get calf muscle cramps on a low bottom
bracket recumbent. Stretching them out helped a bit. Hasn't
been a problem recently.

As I mentioned, I've only been putting in 75 miles a
week since mid summer, so this was
a test of where I am physically, if nothing else.

Like you say, most likely fatigue.

A few weeks ago, a friend brought a friend along for
our Saturday morning ride. He was an experienced duatholon
racer (run-bike-run) and sprinted ahead of us on a number of
hills early on, though he was never more than a few hundred feet
ahead.. He had leg cramps off and on from about 24 miles until
we got back (about 40 miles total). He also became somewhat
uncomfortable on his upright seat. He was almost certainly more
fit overall than I, but perhaps less experienced in endurance and
distance rides.

If I have a long distance to cover, I watch my heart rate monitor
to stay in my aerobic range on average. I find it a pretty good
indicator of my overall exertion level and I know what I can
generally sustain. I snack to replenish calories frequently and
drink a bit more than I think I need. I may not get there fast...

Jon Meinecke

Old September 13th 05, 01:29 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Servojohn wrote:
Rode the 35th Harmon Hundred yesterday...

How were the road markings? The last time I did this ride a couple
years ago, there were only markings right at the intersection, and so
many people missed turnoffs. I understand this included a well known
highracer rider who was being chased by a large group of upright
riders, who were not pleased at missing the turnoff.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 13th 05, 09:18 AM
nj_diver

Take anything (e.g., calcium) for the leg cramps?

You take potassium for leg cramps....not calcium. Bananas are a great
source of potassium. I take a potassium supplement daily and it has
eliminated 99% of the leg cramps in all situations.

Old September 13th 05, 12:51 PM
Jon Meinecke

"nj_diver" wrote

You take potassium for leg cramps....not calcium. Bananas are a great
source of potassium. I take a potassium supplement daily and it has
eliminated 99% of the leg cramps in all situations.

Well, both calcium supplements in advance, and potassium
during sustained exercise are suggested by some. There are
many types and causes of cramps. Certain mineral imbalances
can make people more susceptible to cramps during exercise,
as also can dehydration. Sports drinks such as the Gatorade
supplement sodium and potassium,-- some better than others.
Consulting a physician who understands "sports medicine"
is prudent, as always, if leg cramps occur regularly.

In the original poster's assessment, the more likely cause
of his cramps seems to have been lactic acid buildup.

Here's an interesting except from a website: _MUSCLE SPASMS
/ CRAMPS: Nutritional Causes, Prevention and Therapies_.

Note the suggested food sources for lactic acid. %^P

Consuming foods or beverages containing lactic acid is
another acidifying strategy to reduce muscle cramps when
working out, despite the buildup of lactic acid in muscle
tissue during strenuous exercise being actually a common
cause of muscle spasms or cramps. This happens from
insufficient oxygen not being able to oxidize lactic acid,
which would otherwise get rid of it from muscle. Inosine
and creatin supplements also help to reduce the buildup
of lactic acid in muscle.

As exercise tolerance increases from repeated training, it
takes increasingly longer before lactic acid is produced
in muscle, so there is less of a chance of muscle cramps
to develop. Lactic acid is found in a number of foods
and beverages, and it is also commercially added to
increase their acidity (olives, sauerkraut, cheese, beer,
soft drinks, pickles...). Lactic acid-containing drinks
can serve as a valuable fluid replacement for athletes
before, during, and after competitive training and exercise.
-- http://www.acu-cell.com/dis-mus.html

Jon Meinecke

Old September 13th 05, 04:53 PM
Servojohn

I missed one split, but it was marked. I was chatting with the couple
on the Rans tandem at the time. Otherwise, I thought it was marked
well.

Also, there is a new definition for "Rustic Route": Where the roads
haven't been leveled out at all, the hilliest sections of a given ride.

John

Old September 13th 05, 11:06 PM
db.

nj_diver wrote:
Take anything (e.g., calcium) for the leg cramps?

You take potassium for leg cramps....not calcium. Bananas are a great
source of potassium. I take a potassium supplement daily and it has
eliminated 99% of the leg cramps in all situations.

I get leg cramps from heat in the summer, and quinine tablets and
vitamin E seems to ease them.

db.
Old September 14th 05, 01:56 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Servojohn wrote:
I missed one split, but it was marked. I was chatting with the couple
on the Rans tandem at the time....

What is a "Rans"?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley