Rancho San Antonio and Half Moon Bay (California)

Old April 28th 05, 05:14 AM
Chuck Anderson

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I've been using an Avocet 50 since it first came to market. This unit is
one of the early ones and probably won't last much longer as the case is
cracked, and it no longer sits tightly in its mount. At least it's out of
the weather. It'll probably die when it gets knocked out of its mount and
run over by me or a following vehicle. People with whom I ride seem to
get good altimeter data from the Ciclosport computers.

--
Bill Bushnell

Bill: The Ciclosport computers have exceptionally-accurate
altitude-measuring capabilities. Unfortunately, they're also the
most-difficult units to understand, due to their
poorly-translated-from-German instructions.

What makes the Ciclosport altitude section so nice? Very little drift,
extreme repeatability (you do the same ride over and over and over and over
and over and get maybe 30ft variation in total climb out of 3500ft) and it
doesn't over-estimate the amount of climbing (gives virtually identical
results to Rich Vetter's KLIMB program).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

The Ciclosport looks pretty nice - even gives a grade reading. I see it
is wireless, though. Ever have any problems from interference? The one
wireless computer I had (a Cateye) would give me bizarre readings quite
often. Store security security systems (some kind of EM radiation?) were
often the cause. That can totally ruin any data you've gotten from a
days ride, and makes it impossible to use it for keeping track of long
term accumulated mileage (per month / per year).

One of the Cateye 100 Altimeter's biggest drawbacks is that you can not
reset the total mileage and elevation gain. On tour I like to start off
with accumulated distance at 0 so I can reset the trip odometer every
day and have the tour's accumulated miles automatically tallied.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old April 28th 05, 07:41 PM

Chuck Anderson writes:

One of the Cateye 100 Altimeter's biggest drawbacks is that you can
not reset the total mileage and elevation gain. On tour I like to
start off with accumulated distance at 0 so I can reset the trip
odometer every day and have the tour's accumulated miles
automatically tallied.

Remove the battery, it will forget any data it had collected in prior
use. That should solve the problem. In fact, I think most people
prefer not to have a means of wiping out their results by accident.
This takes willful action.

Old April 30th 05, 05:37 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
[...]

I have an Avocet 50, and the altitude function isn't all that useful because
of the extreme drift, even in non-changing weather.

Old April 30th 05, 10:38 PM
Keith Rickert

In article et,
"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

[...]

See, I've had an Avocet 50 for 10 years, and I tend to get pretty high
repeatability over the same course. The only times I've gotten bad
drift that doesn't correspond to weather trends has been when water has
gotten into the case.

Keith
Old May 3rd 05, 02:15 PM
Morgan Fletcher

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 22:14 -0600, Chuck Anderson wrote:
The Ciclosport looks pretty nice - even gives a grade reading. I see
it
is wireless, though. Ever have any problems from interference?

I use a Ciclosport HAC-4 and in the winter I ride with a Light & Motion
HID light. If the light is on the computer gets no readings from the
heart rate monitor and the wheel magnet pickup. Not a big deal, really.
I've never had interference problems with the HAC-4 otherwise. When
readings start to drop or the numbers jump around I replace batteries
and it stops. I like the HAC-4.

Morgan
--
Morgan Fletcher, Oakland, CA, USA

Old May 5th 05, 12:21 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I use a Ciclosport HAC-4 and in the winter I ride with a Light & Motion
HID light. If the light is on the computer gets no readings from the
heart rate monitor and the wheel magnet pickup. Not a big deal, really.
I've never had interference problems with the HAC-4 otherwise. When
readings start to drop or the numbers jump around I replace batteries
and it stops. I like the HAC-4.

But do you enjoy changing batteries in the main unit? I now change them
placing the unit in a shoebox top, so as not to lose the little springs, and
keep a magnifying glass handy.

How long before they have auto-focus glasses? Gosh, at first I was kidding,
but why not? Lens materials that respond to electrical impulses aren't too
far fetched, nor is having something that figures out what the eye is
looking at and adjusts focus accordingly.