Perthshire Challenge - Sunday 17th June

Old March 25th 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Burke

Default Perthshire Challenge - Sunday 17th June

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth on
Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and cycling 17
miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you might like to
do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

Rob Burke
Rotary Club of Perth St Johns

Old March 25th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 16:22:02 +0100 someone who may be "Rob Burke"
wrote this:-

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth on
Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and cycling 17
miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you might like to
do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

Having read this bit, "Cycle helmets must be worn for the cycling
section of the Perthshire Challenge", I have a two word answer to
your rotary club. The second word is off and you may decide for
yourself what the first word is.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 25th 07, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

wrote this:-

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth
on
Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and cycling 17
miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you might like
do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

Having read this bit, "Cycle helmets must be worn for the cycling
section of the Perthshire Challenge", I have a two word answer to
your rotary club. The second word is off and you may decide for
yourself what the first word is.

lowest?
molot?

What was wrong with a polite refusal or even silence?

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering the
event.

Old March 25th 07, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:18:35 +0100, "vernon" wrote:

.. .
wrote this:-

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth
on
Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and cycling 17
miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you might like
do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

Having read this bit, "Cycle helmets must be worn for the cycling
section of the Perthshire Challenge", I have a two word answer to
your rotary club. The second word is off and you may decide for
yourself what the first word is.

lowest?
molot?

What was wrong with a polite refusal or even silence?

If everyone who objects to having their right to decide on their own level of
protection simply boycots the event, then the organisers may not appreciate that
they are getting a lower than optimal turnout because of their interfering
rules.

Better that they should be made aware of just *why* people may not be joining
in.

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering the
event.

Irrelevant really. It doesn't alter the fact that someone is poking their nose
into something that is none of their concern, and in a matter where there is
considerable informed opinion that believes their dictats may lead to a greater
chance of death or injury of a rider.

Old March 25th 07, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering the
event.

Highly unlikely.

I note that while they insist on helmet use for the cycling section,
walking boots are a mere recommendation for the mountain section. I'd
have thought the priorities should be reversed.
Old March 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Rob Burke
') wrote:

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth
on Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and
cycling 17 miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you
might like to do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

On the 16th/17th June I'm organising a cycling challenge across southern
Scotland. Mine's only 250 miles, or 400Km - so I don't think we're in
competition!

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Old March 25th 07, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , vernon
') wrote:

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering
the event.

Wrong insurance company, then. British Cycling don't require helmets for
events they insure, unless they're races.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
Old March 25th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

wrote this:-

My Rotary club is organising a charity walk/cycling challenge from Perth on
Sunday 17th June. It's for teams of three, walking 13 miles and cycling 17
miles. It should be an enjoyable day out, and if you think you might like to
do it, see www.perthshire.co.uk/challenge

Having read this bit, "Cycle helmets must be worn for the cycling
section of the Perthshire Challenge", I have a two word answer to
your rotary club. The second word is off and you may decide for
yourself what the first word is.

As a nearby emigrant who learned his cycling and hillwalking skills in
and around Perth I was rather interested in this, until I saw your
remark. I echo your sentiments with at least equal vehemence.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old March 25th 07, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

wrote:

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering the
event.

Highly unlikely.

I note that while they insist on helmet use for the cycling section,
walking boots are a mere recommendation for the mountain section. I'd
have thought the priorities should be reversed.

I see nothing in the proposed route to make a good pair of mountain
sandals such as Tevas inappropriate, unless of course you have weak
ankles.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old March 25th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

vernon wrote on 25/03/2007 19:18 +0100:

What was wrong with a polite refusal or even silence?

Because if no-one tells them they will never know that they missed out
on a number of participants. I certainly will not join any event that
mandates helmets.

The insistance on helmets might be that of an insurane company covering the
event.

I doubt it - it will be some uninformed do-gooder(s) making it up.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell