"listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

Old June 16th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Default "listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

MuniAddict wrote:
I tried Jim's shim idea; it took FOUR pepsi alum strips to get it
centered, or at least very close to centered. The strips are quite
thin, so maybe 4 isn't that much. It could very well be the frame,
because Amy said the radial frame has to be "bent" out to accomodate
the wide hub!

Terry, do me a favor and make sure your spoke holes were drilled
correctly. On my rim, the left most spokes are closer to the edge then
the right most spokes. My spoke holes were drilled offset to the left
by a couple millimeters, just make sure your's isn't the same.

--
Brian O.

mscalisi wrote:
We only need one 36" rim, one that doesn't suck. A properly sized KH rim
(like the 29er only larger) would be awesome.

'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - The
Unicyclist PC Game - In Early Development.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

MuniAddict wrote:
I tried Jim's shim idea; it took FOUR pepsi alum strips to get it
centered, or at least very close to centered. The strips are quite
thin, so maybe 4 isn't that much. It could very well be the frame,
because Amy said the radial frame has to be "bent" out to accomodate
the wide hub!

You can try another material thats thicker, Don't be worried about the
thickness of the shim, you can fit a lot in there before you start to
raise the lip above the bearing.

--
Evan Byrne
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Brian O. wrote:
Terry, do me a favor and make sure your spoke holes were drilled
correctly. On my rim, the left most spokes are closer to the edge then
the right most spokes. My spoke holes were drilled offset to the left
by a couple millimeters, just make sure your's isn't the same.

I checked teh spokes and they all appear to be symmetrical. I think
though that one one side, the spokes were tightened more, causing this
problem which seems to be that the hub/axle is higher on one side,
making shimming necessary to level it out and center the wheel to the
frame. I emailed John and Amy, and hoefully they will ultimately fix
this problem. Btw, the painting would have nothing to do with this
alignment problem, plus no paint whatsoever was applied to the
underside of the bearing caps.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

MuniAddict wrote:
I checked teh spokes and they all appear to be symmetrical. I think
though that one one side, the spokes were tightened more, causing this
problem which seems to be that the hub/axle is higher on one side,
making shimming necessary to level it out and center the wheel to the
frame. I emailed John and Amy, and hoefully they will ultimately fix
this problem. Btw, the painting would have nothing to do with this
alignment problem, plus no paint whatsoever was applied to the
underside of the bearing caps.

Another "btw". I would think it a normal expectation (especially on an
airfoil wheel build by Kovachi) that the wheel on your newly arrived
Coker or *any* higher end uni, would be to have a wheel that is true
and centered. Is this a fair expectation? Seems like a no-brainer to
me.

If the problem is the wheel dish, as you describe, you're best just
fixing it yourself; it'll take 10 minutes. It should be fixed by
tightening spokes, not by shimming the bearings.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

Ok, my wheel is a bit off-centre too.
I just thought that this was 'normal' and it was all good.
I can still ride mine and i dont see it as any great problem????
It isnt too evident in the photo, it looks a bit worse in real life...
Should i live with it as i dont think it has too much alteration on my
riding, or could i have changed my riding without really knowing to
compensate for this?
Thanks

|Filename: IMG_0232.JPG |

mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Mill_Mobile, if you are off center its very minimal because from that
picture I certainly can't tell. If you aren't having trouble riding
I'd say you are fine.

--
Brian O.

Old June 17th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

Mine was the exact same way. When I took the wheel off to put new cranks
on I was especially careful to tighten each of those nuts at the bottom
of the frame evenly..checking every so often to make sure it was going
on center. Now it's perfectly center. Try taking it off and adjusting
those nuts.

Also..the slightly off-center wheel like that most likely isn't the
cause of your "listing"

--
Chexjc

www.myspace.com/thelostguitarist
AIM: Guitardude88
Check out my videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JasonCheckla
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Chexjc wrote:
Mine was the exact same way. When I took the wheel off to put new cranks
on I was especially careful to tighten each of those nuts at the bottom
of the frame evenly..checking every so often to make sure it was going
on center. Now it's perfectly center. Try taking it off and adjusting
those nuts.

* Also..the slightly off-center wheel like that most likely isn't the
cause of your "listing"*

Well, first it wasn't slightly off-center; it was waaaay off-center! And
since shimming, and then riding it "listing-free" for 25 miles
today-I'd say that it was *_definitely_* the cause of the listing!

Old June 17th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boo radley

So did you try flipping the wheel around as others suggested to find out
whether it's the frame or the wheel? If it's the wheel, you should fix
that instead of shimming the frame.

--
boo radley

User CP - Edit Options - Uncheck: Show Signatures - Save Changes
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 06:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

boo radley wrote:
So did you try flipping the wheel around as others suggested to find out
whether it's the frame or the wheel? If it's the wheel, you should fix
that instead of shimming the frame.

MuniAddict wrote:
I tried flipping the whel around, but to no avail.

It was in his first post. lol

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)