"cow horn" handlebars stem question

Old August 19th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

Default "cow horn" handlebars stem question

wrote...

I'd say it depends on whether you use the tops or the hoods most
often, and how the bars you choose match up to your existing road bar
reach.

I have a set of nashbar cow-horns on my fixed gear bike. I opted to
have a stem that makes the tops be in the same place as on my road
bike. This means the cow-horn part is a little further out than the
hoods are on my road bike, but not much. I find that while the cow-
horns don't have as many positions as the regular road bars, the
comfort of the forward position makes up fo this. My hands feel
cramped on the hoods of my road bike in a way they don't with cow-
horns. If you are just swapping bars, the existing stem length is
probably fine. I also don't miss the drops position because I ride my
fixed gear in a more relaxed manner than my road bike, so even if the
bike had drops, I would probably never use them.

Gratuitous link to pic of my bike pre-frame swap:

http://arbitrary.org/black.JPG

Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer. I also looked at the $20
nashbar handlebars,

http://tinyurl.com/26umga

but while I like the black, the $40 Nittos

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1833

look more comfortable to me and better able to take a set of brakes. For my
purposes I'm not worried about any loss of hand positions. I'm not going so
far on any given trip with this bike that I'm worried about it. I'm
expecting the comfort you describe. They just look like the position I'm
after.

Old August 19th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Myron Hobson

wrote...

Jim Flom wrote:
Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer. I also looked at the $20
nashbar handlebars,

http://tinyurl.com/26umga

but while I like the black, the $40 Nittos

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1833

look more comfortable to me and better able to take a set of brakes. For my
purposes I'm not worried about any loss of hand positions. I'm not going so
far on any given trip with this bike that I'm worried about it. I'm
expecting the comfort you describe. They just look like the position I'm
after.

The Nashbar and Syntace bars that I use are AFAIK, identical with the
exception of internal cable routing. My bars have had both Tektro and
Dia-Compe TT levers and both worked fine (the Tektro levers match the
routing better).

\\paul
Old August 20th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

Jim Flom wrote:
[...]

Very cool.

Cool bike. It looks like mine's gonna look. I'm after the same basic idea
you were after. I mostly ride on the hoods, but want what looks like the
more comfortable stance that the cow horns offer.

Yeah, I'm looking for a cheap pair of non-grooved, non-ergo road bars to
cut. On my road bikes I ride on the hoods 80% of the time, the flats
15%, and the drops 5%. On my mtn bike I spend all non-technical time on
the bar ends. I'd get some time trial bars but I think cut and
flipped road bars will work better for me.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old August 20th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

in the process of acquiring parts for a still unchosen 29er frame, i
bought 2 different bars at $12.50 each to experiment with-as deviating
from the DOWN THE ROAD drop bars sole experience
as the situation certainly seems impossible to hypothezise with a base
line experience
see universal cycles for the bars layout.
I asked the lower back muscles but they said noooooooooooooooooo
comment without a handson tryout.

Old August 20th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
autopi

i've used both the nashbar and the nitto bars. i found the nashbar
ones more comfortable, actually, b/c the nitto ones have a bit more
drop than i like. i found that i could ride with my hands on the ends
of the nashbar bars more comfortably and w/more control than with the
nitto ones.

on the nashbar bars i had a TT brake, whereas on the nittos i have a
cyclocross interrupter lever mounted up closer to the stem. i assume
that setup would work on the nashbar's as well, so i don't see that
there's any difference b/w the two as far as brakes go.

on the other hand, one difference was that i could not for the life of
me get the nashbar's through a typical quill stem--i had to get an
icon stem w/a removable face plate to use w/the nashbar's. that stem
was so ugly that i eventually got the nittos so i could use a normal
quill stem. (if you have threadless i suppose it doesn't matter.)

Old August 20th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"Jim Flom" wrote:
Would I want to go with a shorter stem length if I switched off to say,
Nitto time trial handlebars from regular road bars?

sergio wrote:
Take notice.
A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

What about Style Points?
They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old August 20th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

"autopi" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sounds like you used them for time trialing?

My stem on the bike right now is one of those ugly ones with the faceplate,
but the shorter stem is an older style quill. Gets me thinking.

JF

Old August 20th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Myron Hobson

sergio wrote:
Take notice.
A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

What about Style Points?
They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG

May I inquire about the cottered BB spindle device-a-ma-bobber in the
lower right hand corner of the photo?

\\paul
Old August 20th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

sergio wrote:
Take notice.
A TT handlebar never allows a variaty of grip positions as a regular
racing bar. That may be a serious disadvantage.

What about Style Points?
They are considered so daring and cool when parked outside the coffee
shop on an (often brakeless) urban fixie!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/FIXJOHA.JPG

Nice. I LOVE these guys:

http://www.myspace.com/fixedgearsareforjerksandlesbians

hahahahahahahahah