"cow horn" handlebars stem question

Old August 22nd 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

Default "cow horn" handlebars stem question

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
"A Muzi" wrote...

Jim Flom wrote:
It didn't give you an image of my handlebars?

I just see a lot of ads and a login/password box. What's your password?

Try this: http://velominator.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

I'll try Flickr next. I only created it to post the phto.

I've since removed the right brake lever.

Old August 22nd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

"Paul Myron Hobson" wrote in message
Jim Flom wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/29md62
or
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...imageID=299843

"A Muzi" wrote in message
Huh? Paris Hilton? Glacier Surfing? Rilo Kiley? What?

Jim Flom wrote:
It didn't give you an image of my handlebars?

You have to log in to see them and it'll be a cold day in hell when I'm
signed up for myspace. Get flickr, bro.

Fine. How's this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11893790@N03/

Old August 22nd 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Flom

or maybe http://www.flickr.com/photos/velominator/

Old August 22nd 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 02:50:02 GMT, "Jim Flom" wrote:

"A Muzi" wrote in message
"Jim Flom" wrote:
when I squeezed hard on the brake levers,
the front cable pops out of its catch under the brake lever. Must be
the angle.

"sergio" wrote
Assuming you have installed properly, it is the levers' fault, or the
cables', or of both that don't match..

Jim Flom wrote:
Thanks for the photo, Sergio. I had it wrong. I had the tips of the
levers literally pointing forward. I interpreted Adres'...
"If you place them with the lever
pointing back and down, the cable has to be bent in a weird way to be
under the bar tape. It reduces braking effectiveness. If, on the other
hand, you place the levers pointing facing [forward], then, the cable
runs
straight back on the bars."
I supplied the "forward," since it seemed like a word is missing, and
installed the brakes upside down, since it seemed like the only way a
triathlete could be hurt with them, and the only way the cable could
run straight back to the bars. Seems from the photo you sent that you
have the exact same brake levers I have, and that they're really just
installed "normally."

"A Muzi" wrote
With 'normal' road levers, it's possible to mount the cable end in a
ferrule on the top and run the casing (with another ferrule seated in
the lever carrier) out the bottom. Give a good hard pull on the lever
before riding.

'cable popping out':
Many road levers have a directional cable carrier inside the lever
blade. Ensure you aren't upside down there! A kinked or damaged brake
wire/ head should absolutely be replaced ($1).

Jim Flom wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/29md62
or
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...imageID=299843

Huh? Paris Hilton? Glacier Surfing? Rilo Kiley? What?

It didn't give you an image of my handlebars?

It only shows them to people who have a myspace account and sign in.

Ron
Old August 23rd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_963_]

Jim Flom wrote:
Fine. How's this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11893790@N03/

"Black on Grey" - picture of brakes on "cow horn" bars shows up in a
thumbnail window with Mozilla.