Traffic a problem on SF to LA in late May?

Old May 10th 05, 05:22 PM
Ray

Default Traffic a problem on SF to LA in late May?

I am planning a ride from Monterrey to LA starting on May 23 (Monday).
I did this ride last year in mid-April. Last year, Highway 1 was
essentially empty and the virtually car-less ride was grand.

I was wondering what kind of traffic to expect on Hwy 1 (between Carmel
and San Simeon) in late May.

Do anyone have any experience with this route at this time of the year?

Thanks,

Ray

Old May 10th 05, 10:41 PM
Peter

Ray wrote:

I am planning a ride from Monterrey to LA starting on May 23 (Monday).

You'll be a couple days south of me - we're starting from Daly City on
the 23rd and riding down to Cambria and then Paso Robles for the Great
Western Rally.

I did this ride last year in mid-April. Last year, Highway 1 was
essentially empty and the virtually car-less ride was grand.

I was wondering what kind of traffic to expect on Hwy 1 (between Carmel
and San Simeon) in late May.

Certainly not 'virtually car-less' but I don't remember a whole lot of
traffic south of Carmel. The traffic there was tended to come in
bunches as everyone gets in a line behind the slowest driver. Traffic
picks up much more after Memorial Day.