Cycling on ICE question

Old February 7th 09, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Default Cycling on ICE question

I will be cycling tomorrow on slicks (well Marathon Pluses) I expect the
roads will still be icy, is it a good idea to let a lot of the air out.
ISTR reading something like that before. (Well I will be walking parts
of it).

Martin.
Old February 7th 09, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Martin wrote:
I will be cycling tomorrow on slicks (well Marathon Pluses) I expect the
roads will still be icy, is it a good idea to let a lot of the air out.
ISTR reading something like that before. (Well I will be walking parts
of it).

I dont reckon it will make so much difference because of the smart guard
on those. If it's any help I cycle a lot in icy conditions on M+s and
'They cannae take it Cap'n", so take it easy.
Old February 7th 09, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 08:32:39 +0000, Tosspot
said in :

'They cannae take it Cap'n"

Ah, the genius of Hollywood - casting an Irish Canadian as a
Scotsman (well, it's an /accent/ isn't it?). Only Sean Connery's
Scottish Russian submarine captain or his Scottish Irishman in The
Untouchables beats that, really.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old February 7th 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

said in :

'They cannae take it Cap'n"

Ah, the genius of Hollywood - casting an Irish Canadian as a Scotsman
(well, it's an /accent/ isn't it?). Only Sean Connery's Scottish
Russian submarine captain or his Scottish Irishman in The Untouchables
beats that, really.

Or his Scottish Egyptian in Highlander. "Haggis? What is haggis?".

tom

--
YOU CANT TAKE AWAY HATGUYS HAT. THEN HE IS JUST GUY -- The_Toad
Old February 7th 09, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
I will be cycling tomorrow on slicks (well Marathon Pluses) I expect the
roads will still be icy, is it a good idea to let a lot of the air out.
ISTR reading something like that before. (Well I will be walking parts
of it).

Martin.

They will slip on ice. I reckon they are "semi slicks" but even so they will
slip.

I don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs ............ but

1. Ride in as high a gear as your can manage. A lower gear increases the
"slip factor" ( the "torque"). I find even on wet edges of paths, where I hit
damp grass, my rear wheel will slip under climbing gear, pressure!

2. it gets difficult for cyclists as the side roads become more patchy --
beware running into a patch of black ( or even white) ice

3 With SPD type pedals I keep my "favourite foot" unclipped; so that I can
drop a stabilising extra support.

4. Just be sensible cos all these suddenly polite car drivers are now over
their scare and they are driving normally ---- and all the roads are
distinctly not yet "normal".

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old February 7th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

said in :

'They cannae take it Cap'n"

Ah, the genius of Hollywood - casting an Irish Canadian as a
Scotsman (well, it's an /accent/ isn't it?).

They did manage to repeat the error a few year later when they cast an
"unknown British Shakespearean actor" (Yorkshire) as a Frenchman from
East France.

Old February 7th 09, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

said in :

'They cannae take it Cap'n"

Ah, the genius of Hollywood - casting an Irish Canadian as a
Scotsman (well, it's an /accent/ isn't it?).

They did manage to repeat the error a few year later when they cast an
"unknown British Shakespearean actor" (Yorkshire) as a Frenchman from
East France.

The Royal Shakespeare Company does something similar every time they do
"Henry V".
Old February 7th 09, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Tosspot wrote:
Martin wrote:
I will be cycling tomorrow on slicks (well Marathon Pluses) I expect the
roads will still be icy, is it a good idea to let a lot of the air out.
ISTR reading something like that before. (Well I will be walking parts
of it).

I dont reckon it will make so much difference because of the smart guard
on those. If it's any help I cycle a lot in icy conditions on M+s and
'They cannae take it Cap'n", so take it easy.

I tried it today, letting most of the air out, and it made quite a
noticeable bit of difference. Although I think I was in danger of a
snakebite visit a couple of times.

Martin.
Old February 8th 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jsabine

Martin wrote:

I will be cycling tomorrow on slicks (well Marathon Pluses) I expect
the roads will still be icy, is it a good idea to let a lot of the
air out. ISTR reading something like that before. (Well I will be
walking parts of it).

Martin.

Made a *huge* difference on Monday for me - we had about four inches of
snow with the merest hint of slushiness underneath, and what felt like
ice somewhere in the mix. At normal pressures my M+s were going through
to the slippery layer, and skating all over the place. With most of the
air let out (when I pumped them up again, they were down to about 15 or
20psi), they were much more secure. No fun when I got back to tarmac
though ... usable, but so, so slow

--

John
Old February 8th 09, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 08/02/2009 15:50, jsabine wrote:
Made a *huge* difference on Monday for me - we had about four inches of
snow with the merest hint of slushiness underneath, and what felt like
ice somewhere in the mix. At normal pressures my M+s were going through
to the slippery layer, and skating all over the place. With most of the
air let out (when I pumped them up again, they were down to about 15 or
20psi), they were much more secure. No fun when I got back to tarmac
though ... usable, but so, so slow

YMMV. I had about 1.5" of snow on Thursday morning, with occasional
patches of ice underneath, and had absolutely no problems with my M+s at
100psi (well, probably more like 90psi since I hadn't topped them up for
a couple of weeks).

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Cycling on ICE question Nick L Plate UK 0 February 7th 09 08:10 AM
question about cycling through Manchester Adam Lea UK 2 September 11th 06 09:45 AM
Cycling shorts question?! ppt General 2 May 12th 06 11:26 AM
Track cycling question [email protected] General 30 August 25th 04 05:13 PM
A cycling in the Alps question Eatmorepies UK 2 April 22nd 04 07:56 AM