Sad

Old October 6th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Default Sad

http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294-p2.html

I'm a cynical person usually, but seeing Gerlach's comeback this year was
really inspirational. Oh well.

Old October 6th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

marco wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294-p2.html

I'm a cynical person usually, but seeing Gerlach's comeback this year
was really inspirational. Oh well.

I'm a cynical person too. When I saw that he was re-entering
the profession that he was in when all his problems started
I lost any hope for his success.

I feel that way about Clinger and VDB too. Both of those guys
need people to stop encouraging them to race bikes.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 6th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Oct 6, 8:11*am, "marco" wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294-p2.html

I'm a cynical person usually, but seeing Gerlach's comeback this year was
really inspirational. Oh well.

That's a really depressing story.

Brad Anders
Old October 6th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Bob Schwartz wrote:
I'm a cynical person too. When I saw that he was re-entering
the profession that he was in when all his problems started
I lost any hope for his success.

I feel that way about Clinger and VDB too. Both of those guys
need people to stop encouraging them to race bikes.

VDB is a mercurial kook for sure, but I think Clinger is a different
situation. I don't know him personally, but I have friends who know him
well. They say he's much more stable and trustworthy. Plus, Clinger is
somebody you don't mind riding near in races--the strong silent type who is
generally courteous to other riders in the group. I remember Gerlach being
the opposite of that.

Old October 6th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Bob Schwartz wrote:

marco wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294-p2.html

I'm a cynical person usually, but seeing Gerlach's comeback this year
was really inspirational. Oh well.

I'm a cynical person too. When I saw that he was re-entering
the profession that he was in when all his problems started
I lost any hope for his success.

I feel that way about Clinger and VDB too. Both of those guys
need people to stop encouraging them to race bikes.

I'm a cynical person too, but there's no way people will stop encouraging
them unless there is no hope of making any money from the feel-good
redemption story of the year.

--
Bill Asher
Old October 6th 09, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
I'm a cynical person too. When I saw that he was re-entering
the profession that he was in when all his problems started
I lost any hope for his success.

I feel that way about Clinger and VDB too. Both of those guys
need people to stop encouraging them to race bikes.

VDB is a mercurial kook for sure, but I think Clinger is a different
situation. I don't know him personally, but I have friends who know him
well. They say he's much more stable and trustworthy. Plus, Clinger is
somebody you don't mind riding near in races--the strong silent type who
is generally courteous to other riders in the group. I remember Gerlach
being the opposite of that.

Consider this an alternate form of the prediction algorithm:
The most likely future event is the one that has happened
before.

I wish Clinger the best of luck. If I knew him personally I
would encourage him to quit racing bikes and accept whatever
job he could find. Racing bikes puts him on track for the
result that has happened before.

Bob Schwartz
Old October 6th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

On Oct 6, 1:41*pm, William Asher wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:
marco wrote:
http://www.sacbee.com/500/story/2229294-p2.html

I'm a cynical person usually, but seeing Gerlach's comeback this year
was really inspirational. Oh well.

I'm a cynical person too. When I saw that he was re-entering
the profession that he was in when all his problems started
I lost any hope for his success.

I feel that way about Clinger and VDB too. Both of those guys
need people to stop encouraging them to race bikes.

I'm a cynical person too, but there's no way people will stop encouraging
them unless there is no hope of making any money from the feel-good
redemption story of the year. *

Alternatively, the writer John Dolan has a thesis that, as people in
developed countries sit at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the
main source of pain and suffering will be the inability to become rich
and famous. Americans know that they should be rich and famous and
they could be rich and famous - but they're not. He thinks that
future generations will recognize this angst as genuine suffering, not
unlike cold and hunger.
Old October 6th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Mark wrote:

Alternatively, the writer John Dolan has a thesis that, as people in
developed countries sit at the top of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the
main source of pain and suffering will be the inability to become rich
and famous. Americans know that they should be rich and famous and
they could be rich and famous - but they're not. He thinks that
future generations will recognize this angst as genuine suffering, not
unlike cold and hunger.

For this, I prescribe a dose of perspective, administered by moving to
Jakarta and living on $5 a month for a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfYos--B_c

--
Bill Asher
Old October 6th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
marco wrote:
[...]

One only needs to look at the recent histories of mortgage lending and
American Idol to see that the future is, as it so often is, now.

sa
Old October 6th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Bob Schwartz wrote:
marco wrote:
[...]

Thanks for sharing that. It makes me laugh!