Recovery and Diet

Old August 15th 19, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Recovery and Diet

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:17:38 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

For your information, not that I need to provide, I've never smoked a
cigarette or tried smoking one in my entire life. You sir, are
completely delusional.

Cheers

Your delusions began when you started considering yourself some sort of
expert at anything. What have you done for a living since your replies
seem to indicate that it was something like ditch digging or hod
carrying.

Over here, ditch diggers, also called plumbers, generally gross more over
a lifetime than top surgeons.

Old August 15th 19, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 12:40:56 AM UTC-4, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:25:03 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 11:58:23 PM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 05:34:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A power meter is a vital accessory for the elderly bicycle enthusiast
as how else can he brag about his accomplishments - "I averaged 12
mph for two hours last Sunday".

Write down starting time in notebook. Write down finishing time in
notebook. Go to Google Maps, ask for directions along your chosen
route. Write down distance.

Apply third-grade math.

--
Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Asking for BICYCLING directions on Google Maps can often have you riding
WAY out of your way if you follow them.

Gogle mpas are so car orientated. There is always a (or more)better
bicycle route.

When I use Google Maps to
calculate the distance on a planned ride I right click on the map at
where I'm starting from and then add markers at various points alone the
route I plan to ride.

Otherwise I find that Google Maps will often
deviate from the shortest route to take a route that uses a rail-trail
or other off-road facility and those deviations can add many miles to a
route.

Over here, it frequently will have you travelling 1,000 miles on sealed
roads as opposed to 10miles on a gravel road.

When I look a Google Maps for routes I'm going to bicycle on I click the bicycle icon on the menu. That icon then gives a suggested route but as I said before those routes often require quite a deviation from the shortest route because Google Maps would have you ride every trail nearby or on the route even if the trail is miles out of your way. I've had many instances where Google Maps would have me ride miles up to a trail that the required me ride miles back down to the road I was riding on in the first place. That is the road I was on ran nearly straight but the route to the trail, the trail and the route back to the road I was on would be a huge flattened inverted "U". That's why I started to plot my own route on the Google Map I used for planning. I find that the distances given on my plots on Google Maps are pretty accurate.

Cheers
Old August 15th 19, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Whatever did people do before Google Maps? I can remember driving
across the United States twice without any maps at all.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 19, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 04:47:13 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:17:38 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 4:52:50 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

For your information, not that I need to provide, I've never smoked a
cigarette or tried smoking one in my entire life. You sir, are
completely delusional.

Cheers

Your delusions began when you started considering yourself some sort of
expert at anything. What have you done for a living since your replies
seem to indicate that it was something like ditch digging or hod
carrying.

Over here, ditch diggers, also called plumbers, generally gross more over
a lifetime than top surgeons.

But that is because you have socialized medicine is it not? And it
just would not be "the right thing" for someone with clean hands to
out gross one of the dirty handed clan.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 19, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I used road maps sometimes and at other times I Used government issued topographical maps. When I'm going somewhere unfamiliar I like to know where I am.

I remember one bicycle trip I was on where I looked at my road map to see if there was a town on the route where I could stop and get some more supplies. I went to ride to the closest town the map showed me from the road I was on. I was quite surprised to find out that that town that looked to be almost beside the road i was on turned out to be very nearly 12 miles from the road I was on. That was close to 24 miles of extra riding which took close to two hours. After that I relied much more on topographical maps.

Google Maps can be a real help in planning routes as their Street View even allows you to see if there are stores in the town or along the road I plan to ride.

Cheers
Old August 15th 19, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Probably because I was never much for just rambling around an just
wanted to go from Here to There.

Even when I used to "prospect" up in the mountains of California I
can't remember using a map as it was in the mountains and "up" was
that-a-way and "down" was the other way. I probably should qualify
that by saying that I was mainly interested in the river :-)

Old August 15th 19, 08:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

And if you ever got lost you could just say, "I'm not lost. I'm just turned around a mite". LOL (I wonder who originally said that?)

Cheers
Old August 15th 19, 09:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well in that place it would have been very difficult to get lost. Or
lost enough to be dangerous. You were on the West side of the mountain
and the river ran down hill so following the river would lead you to
"civilization", or at least civilization of a sort.

The Central Branch of the Yuba River was where a great deal of the
early gold rush activity took place and I discovered a Chinese
graveyard way up at the top of the mountain. After I found the
graveyard I did find it listed, in small print, on a topo map.

Some of the work that had been done by hand up there in the 1800's was
amazing. There were roads that had been built cantilevered out over
the side of a cliff.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 19, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Og the caveman explaining why he was late home to supper :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 19, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Try RideWithGPS. Better than google map for plotting bike rides. You can
choose to stick to the road or a bike path. If you have a smart phone you
can also download the ride to your phone so no data costs if you want to
follow it. Our club uses it to host our rides and we’ve had good results.

--
duane

Diet Justin[_3_] UK 61 November 1st 12 08:08 PM
Doing the TdF on a vegan diet T. Miller Racing 2 July 2nd 11 02:46 AM
Diet Coker!!! unicyclepa Unicycling 0 September 3rd 06 05:51 AM
Biker's Diet ackfugue Techniques 34 July 14th 06 11:23 PM
Time to diet? Martin Bulmer UK 1 May 2nd 05 11:51 AM