Problem with my new Schlumpf guni hub?

Old March 31st 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Problem with my new Schlumpf guni hub?

In a nutshell, one of the crank arms is loose on my (new) Schlumpf guni
hub. This is the same problem I had six months ago with my first
generation hub.

The loose arm is on the downshift-button side. That is the same thing
that happened to me last time, if I'm not mistaken. Luckily for me, a
fellow member of the NYUC also has a guni from Florian, so he may be
able to fix this when I see him tomorrow. If not, I'll have to
disassemble the wheel again (that's a lot easier than building it!) and
send the newer hub back to Switzerland.

I should note that I have not gone down any big curbs (nothing more
than a few inches, and only a few times). I think the only strain I put
on the guni was while riding up a fairly short hill today in high
gear.

Blah blah blah:
Back in October, my geared unicycle began having problems. On several
occasions it slipped out of geared (once causing a scary fall), but
worse still was the related fact that one of the crank arms was falling
off. I emailed Florian and spoke with him a few times in Switzerland,
and I tried repairing things on my own and with the help of fellow NYUC
club member (and fellow guni owner) Dave Bagley, but finally we
realized that there was no way to fix this unicycle's hub.

Florian had been working on an improved hub at this time, so rather
than trying to fix my hub or sending me a replacement, he generously
decided to give updated hubs to all owners of 1st generation hubs.
These newer models have 12 internal pins rather than 6, and this means
that the hub can switch into gear more smoothly. It took nearly six
months for the updated hub to arrive, and it finally showed up last
week [Florian had broken his arm and had gone to Laos on a unicycle
tour, adding to the delay.]

Once the hub arrived, I tried to rebuild the wheel (putting all of the
spokes back on the rim), but my two attempts failed. Rebuilding a wheel
is a Zen art, and I'm not even a Zen grasshopper when it comes to
truing a wheel, let alone building one from scratch. So I paid a bike
mechanic $35 for the job, and, as of Wednesday afternoon, was on my
way. Sure enough, the shifting was nearly seamless. I was able to make
transitions from low to high gear and back with little difficulty. I
rode it to Brooklyn and back to my mom's apartment on the Upper West
Side (a trip of about 8.5 miles each way) twice, logging a total of
about 36 miles on it until just an hour ago when I realized that one of
the crank arms is loose.

The loose arm is on the downshift-button side. That is the same thing
that happened to me last time, if I'm not mistaken. Luckily for me, a
fellow member of the NYUC also has a guni from Florian, so he may be
able to fix this when I see him tomorrow. If not, I'll have to
disassemble the wheel again (that's a lot easier than building it!) and
send the newer hub back to Switzerland. Ugh.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Old March 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Hmmm... my left crank came loose during the Laos tour. We just assumed
it was the result of not being put on tight enough by the bike shop
that I had build the new wheel for me. After that day's ride, I
tightened it up and had no problem since. Though it'd probably be a
good thing now to to go over it with a proper torque wrench and make
sure it's tight.

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Old March 31st 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Wow. That's a relief. So maybe I can take it to the bike shop down the
block and see. Thanks for the note, Gilby. I'll write back when I know
more.

David

Old April 1st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Well, I took it to the bike store, but here is the snag: The loose crank
is the one off of the silver button, which is the one that does NOT
come off with the special tool. Now, I have never taken apart one of
these hubs, and I don't have Florian with me, so I wasn't sure what to
do. We got the other crank arm off easily (the first time I'd seen what
is behind a crank), but from there we had no idea what to do next. The
other crank and the other button were just taunting me.

Old April 1st 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Are these cranks regular square taper? If so anti-seize the taper and
the bolt or nut thread liberally tap firmly but not too hard with a
rubber mallet and tighten the bolt/nut. Anti-seize is the key!

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Old April 1st 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Schlumpf has manuals in PDF format for their bicycle geared bottom
brackets. The manuals explain how to adjust the shifting buttons for
depth in the cranks and other things. You can download the 'Mountain
Drive manual here' (http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm) (scroll down to
the bottom of the page). Print that out and the bike shop should be
able to get the shifting buttons adjusted for you.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old April 1st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Thanks, John. I checked out the site and eventually found the right
technical manual pages. Luckily I can take them to the bike mechanic
tom'w (whether he's available is another issue). I can also buy a
torque wrench and try the work myself or with a club member.

I really hope I can get this taken care of HERE rather than in
SWITZERLAND!

David

Old April 1st 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

What length and brand of cranks are they, David?

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old April 1st 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i know this is completely off topic but with the splinded geared hub
comming out in the summer. i was wondering if you can replace the axel
or do you have to replace the whole hub?

--
vicuniclub
vicuniclub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10052

Old April 1st 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

U-Turn wrote:
What length and brand of cranks are they, David?

Honestly, I don't remember. The thing is in the car, anyway. I'm so
annoyed about this. I think they were 140s or 150s, and I'm curious as
to why you wanted to know.

Florian wrote me today, asking whether I had tightened the crank arms
or whether he had. When I sent back my hub, I also sent back the
attached cranks because I had no way of taking them off (or if I did, I
didn't know it). But D4 sent his hub back without the cranks, so maybe
he will know what to do (when I see him tomw) or will have the tool for
tightening the crank.

I assumed that the assembly would come back to me in perfect shape and
that this issue would have gone away. It's hard to believe I waited 6
months for this. I do know that the cranks seemed fine when I got the
assembly back -- otherwise the mechanic and I would have noticed the
loose crank earlier. So I'm guessing that something went wrong within a
few miles of riding the new assembly, which seems odd, but it's my only
guess. Is it possible that Florian used some of the same components
when he gave me the new hub? Perhaps the cause of the loose crank was
never dealt with and I'm just riding the same faulty crank? I wish I
knew enough even to make a good guess (or at least to be able to
explain it to a bike mechanic).

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

First Schlumpf GUni test ride Klaas Bil Unicycling 37 June 19th 07 08:29 AM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 07:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 12th 05 12:37 AM
Ritchey Zero hub freewheel problem Sasha Techniques 4 November 29th 04 04:34 AM
Ankle problem... darchibald Unicycling 3 May 8th 04 06:44 PM