Breathable waterproof long-distance jackets... any suggestions? Maybe Gore?

Old January 3rd 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

Default Breathable waterproof long-distance jackets... any suggestions? Maybe Gore?

Hi,

Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated I am long and thin,
so boxy short-sleeve is not ideal.

Am currently thinking Gore Oxygen II or Gore Cross

I currently have a couple of Altura jackets, each has it's problems
NightVision:
Negatives: Boil in the bag, also made the mistake of getting
the grey one (doh!), bit boxy
Positives: Very very reflective, very waterproof, looks ok off
the bike, price

Speed300:
Negatives: Not waterproof, flaps around like a kite in the
wind, sleeves too short
Positives: Packs into it's own little bag, lightweight, price

Regards,
Mark.

Old January 3rd 07, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Anthony Jones

Mark wrote:
Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated I am long and thin,
so boxy short-sleeve is not ideal.

As a warning before you shell out lots of money: IME waterproof implies not
breathable enough for anything other than very gentle cycling. Obviously
this will depend on how much you sweat, but if you've already decided that
your current waterproof jacket is 'boil in the bag', don't be surprised if
a more expensive one isn't much different.

Anthony
Old January 3rd 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated

I don't believe any waterproof jacket is really breathable when you're
cycling hard.

~PB

Old January 3rd 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Pete Biggs wrote:

Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated

I don't believe any waterproof jacket is really breathable when you're
cycling hard.

They'll all stay breathable, just probably not at the same rate with
which sweat is being produced. But eVent, Paclite and XCR etc. will let
out a lot /more/ than other flavours of laminate and coatings.

Over a shorter run it would typically be the case that a lighter "keep
the worst off" approach will be just as good, and quite a bit cheaper,
but if you're in cold rain all day then it would make sense to get a
fully waterproof and the more breathable it is the less you'll suffer.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 3rd 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark

Peter Clinch wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the input... i need something high-vis (just don't trust
those heavier lumps of metal), but also less flappy than the altura
speed jacket. Really wished i'd got the high-vis version of the
nightvision jacket, but there we go... so with it being sales and all i
thought maybe some gore-tex would give me a little more flexibility.
Well, i shall maybe try the oxygen 2 as it seems to be a very sculpted
fit, which will probably suit me more. Shame there aren't good reviews
of all this available online :s

Cheers,
Mark.

Old January 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message om, Mark
') wrote:

Hi,

Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated I am long and thin,
so boxy short-sleeve is not ideal.

Altura Nevis.

Great vents, fits well (I am of similar build), comfortable to wear, not
expensive.

Against, doesn't pack particularly small.

;; lovely alternative to rice.

Old January 3rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

del wrote:

I second this choice, I particularly like the mesh liner which keeps the
jacket off the skin.

Up to a point... but on the other hand it adds weight and bulk. I've
never been very convinced by mesh liners and don't notice my cycling
mesh lined one (a Ronhill one) is any more comfortable than my walking
one which doesn't have any lining.

Supposedly it packs into its own rear pocket, but despite folding or
stuffing I have yet to achieve this realm of Nevis Nirvana.

Cut out the mesh lining...

Pete.
Old January 3rd 07, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Headland

Mark wrote:
Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated I am long and thin,
so boxy short-sleeve is not ideal.

I liked a cape on days when it wasn't windy. Never any problems with
condensation and it makes car drivers nervous! No good for speed work,
obviously, but when I were a lad it's what we wore on club runs, etc.

--
Peter Headland

Old January 3rd 07, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"del" wrote in message
On Wednesday 03 Jan 2007 14:20 Simon Brooke, wrote:

Altura Nevis.

Great vents, fits well (I am of similar build), comfortable to wear,
not expensive.

I second this choice, I particularly like the mesh liner which keeps the
jacket off the skin. The vents are useful as pockets too.

Against, doesn't pack particularly small.

Supposedly it packs into its own rear pocket, but despite folding or
stuffing I have yet to achieve this realm of Nevis Nirvana.
--
del 8-)

I must agree with you both. I have been using an Altura Nevis for over 3
years now and am now on my second, ( I still use my well worn first one for
routine daily runs and it lives in a small pannier with my spare tubes,
cyclair pump and tools). Roomy and well lined and great vents. In the new
one the vents could certainly be used for extra storage but the rear zipped
pocket is huge!

I always take it on tour. My only slight criticism is that the protective
zip flap is on the inside and in very heavy wet head wind weather I have
found that water does get through the zip -- but I have travelled in
blizzarding snow and sleet in the Pyrenees and survived ( actually wearing
4 layers and socks over my gloves!

But I wouldn't have bought my second one if I hadn't been very happy with my
first one. At its price I think it is unbeatable! And I have a well rounded
figure at 90 kg at the start of my annual tours (and about 80 kg when I get
back home)

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old January 4th 07, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Mark" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

Any suggestions for hi-vis waterproof, breathable long-distance
commuting/racing/touring jacket most appreciated I am long and thin,
so boxy short-sleeve is not ideal.

Altura Nevis in retina searing yellow.

I tested mine for the first time on Jan 1st on a ride to the Tan Hill Inn in
rain, snow and hail. It passed with flying colours. I like the ability to
alter the venting via the zips and its light weight. It isn't totall
breathable but much better than a cheap impermeable plastic lined jacket
that I used to use and would leave me only marginally drier than if I hadn't
bothered wearing it.

Got mine for £38 - a bargain