Assault by motoring psychopath on cyclist filmed

Old March 22nd 16, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Assault by motoring psychopath on cyclist filmed

Per Duane:
It seems to me that many urban cities have places where you don't want
to be.

That's one diff I noticed between Hawaii (a loooong time ago... probably
different now) and The Mainland: in Mainland cities, you know where you
can go and be safe and where you are at risk if you go there.

OTOH in the Hawaii I lived in for 9+ years, you could get in trouble any
place any time because the guys who did stuff like that were dispersed
across all areas of the island.

I never had a problem because I was what the Locals called "A Good
Haole"... but for several years I belonged to a club with people whose
hobby it was to go out on a Friday or Saturday night (alone, just one
guy), pick a fight with a half-dozen servicemen, and beat them all half
to death.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 22nd 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 7:05:50 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 8:00:12 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/21/2016 12:41 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andy K:

Maybe rider should start packing pepper spray.

I quit riding my road bike to work in Philadelphia when I realized that
a friend's practice of carrying a loaded .44 magnum in the tank pouch of
his motorcycle was starting to sound sensible to me.

Many decades ago, my son and I rode our bikes from New Jersey to Ohio,
passing right through Philadelphia.

I new nothing about the city, so we just headed due west through the
heart of it. In some neighborhood, we did get hostile shouts "Hey
Whitey, what are you doing here?" But we just kept riding.

It did surprise me. I rode daily through a ghetto neighborhood to my
previous job and never encountered any hostility. In fact, people were
very friendly. Likewise, in my current metro area, I've ridden almost
everywhere in the city with no problems.

Some places are more hostile than others, I guess.

Some MUPs are pretty dangerous. I had some meth-head punch me on a MUP. A woman with a flat tire was just raped on the Springwater Corridor. http://bikeportland.org/2016/03/21/g...er-path-178667 Note the stories of shootings and other mayhem on the Springwater.

I've never had a problem out there, but there are parts that are sketchy homeless camps.

If you spend enough time on a bike in a large metropolitan area, someone will assault you. A sad fact of urban life. It has happened to me more than once in Portland and San Jose.

-- Jay Beattie.

Depressing commentary on mankind. I'd really like to hear about your experiences, if you don't mind sharing. Were these bicycle related or "real life"?
Pureheart in Aptos
Old March 23rd 16, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

In San Jose: (1) a guy reached out of a low-rider and pushed my bars. I wobbled hard, but stayed upright (benefit of track racing), (2) a couple of guys in a low-rider threw firecrackers at me -- but no M-80s. I wobbled hard but did not fall down. As you might guess, I lived in a sketchy area near downtown.

In or around Portland: (1) guy on a motorcycle slugged me as he passed. I think he was ****ed off because I was making the lights. It was very weird.. He sped away. (2) Some meth-head on the I-205 bike path slugged me as I was riding by. I was going to clobber him, but my friend wanted to get the hell out of there. I wasn't injured and didn't fall off my bike. (3) Out in Washington county, some kid and his buddy drove up along side and opened the passenger side door, but it didn't hit me. They sped away, and I chased for a moment. I was with the same guy as the I-205 incident, and he just stopped. He has a cooler head than I do. I've actually gotten in fights with other cyclists, mostly verbal -- although one wasn't. There are some really sketchy homeless people on the Springwater Corridor -- but so far, no one has screwed with me. They have screwed with other people, literally and figuratively.

All of this is separate from the usual road-rage or assholes in pick-ups -- or the psychopathic bus drivers. Those are like background noise. The up-close and personal stuff is different.

Speaking of . . . I was riding out in the country last weekend with a group of guys, and a pick-up passed us -- normally, without diesel douche or honking or engine revving. We all just looked at each other, perplexed. I'm checking Revelations to see if this has any significance.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 23rd 16, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Pureheart in Aptos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

Old March 23rd 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 9:02:45 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I carry mace.

I live in an area where long distance out back riding is possible and out thru the islands. You would die to ride here 365. Exclusivo. Primo.

problems are infrequent but routine. As in mace.

sometime dangerous, once in a while life threatening.

Lotta winter people here are friends of frank of ohio.

Even in a good riding area that is what it is....dangerous.

Old March 23rd 16, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 1:02:45 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

Speaking of . . . I was riding out in the country last weekend with a group of guys, and a pick-up passed us -- normally, without diesel douche or honking or engine revving. We all just looked at each other, perplexed. I'm checking Revelations to see if this has any significance.

-- Jay Beattie.

It's your personal radiance inhibiting the natural impulses of the rednecks, Jay.

Andre Jute
The Jute Labs are working on bottling it. Reserve your bottle now!

Old March 23rd 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

show us where the Springwater Corridor is on a Google Map link

ura feisty ol asshole for a lawyer !
Old March 23rd 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 9:21:42 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 1:02:45 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

Speaking of . . . I was riding out in the country last weekend with a group of guys, and a pick-up passed us -- normally, without diesel douche or honking or engine revving. We all just looked at each other, perplexed. I'm checking Revelations to see if this has any significance.

-- Jay Beattie.

It's your personal radiance inhibiting the natural impulses of the rednecks, Jay.

Andre Jute
The Jute Labs are working on bottling it. Reserve your bottle now!

no telling. I picked up the trash down the road at the Florida trail parking lot for abt 10 cars with a bulliten Board. I have fertilized some trees there or over 20 years. Looked good.

Drove back up to camp on the lake thru the local village n the denizens were ****ed of that I had cleaned up the area. ehayyayay thye threatened me all night for it.

Just cannah tell.

there are natīve colonialist jokes abt this phenomena but I cannah think of one just now....maybe a couple abt the Chief's nympho daughter....

Old March 23rd 16, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 1:30:05 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Jesus, Daniels, you'll be washing their feet next, right up to the time they take you out to crucify you.

Andre Jute
Get your retaliation in first -- Jack Reacher
Old March 23rd 16, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Pureheart in Aptos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Boone

I used to ride to Aptos all the time when I was in college and shortly thereafter -- around Lexington, up Old Santa Cruz Highway, Summitt and over San Jose Soquel Road. Great ride in Jobstlandia. I had a friend who lived in a cabin with a view of Monterey Bay. Life was good.

Sun, fun, stay, play.

-- Jay Beattie.