My Bike Ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

Old April 28th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default My Bike Ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC

I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Old April 30th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bdbafh

On Apr 28, 3:02 pm, wrote:
I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Congrats. I'm thinking about riding the BikePA South route this
summer, all road and no panniers.
I've checked it out from Lancaster to the Delaware river but haven't
seen it any further west (except via Google Earth).
Some streams out in the eastern part of PA were still near flood stage
over the weekend - your choice of waiting until the 29th was wise.

-bdbafh

Old April 30th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Cotton

"bdbafh" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 28, 3:02 pm, wrote:
I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Congrats. I'm thinking about riding the BikePA South route this
summer, all road and no panniers.
I've checked it out from Lancaster to the Delaware river but haven't
seen it any further west (except via Google Earth).
Some streams out in the eastern part of PA were still near flood stage
over the weekend - your choice of waiting until the 29th was wise.

-bdbafh

I have a cue sheet on my web: http://www.billcotton.com/bikepa_s_route.htm
I wasn't aware that the route is on Goggle Earth, thanks.

Old April 30th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bdbafh

On Apr 30, 10:25 am, "Bill Cotton" wrote:
"bdbafh" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Apr 28, 3:02 pm, wrote:
I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Congrats. I'm thinking about riding the BikePA South route this
summer, all road and no panniers.
I've checked it out from Lancaster to the Delaware river but haven't
seen it any further west (except via Google Earth).
Some streams out in the eastern part of PA were still near flood stage
over the weekend - your choice of waiting until the 29th was wise.

-bdbafh

I have a cue sheet on my web:http://www.billcotton.com/bikepa_s_route.htm
I wasn't aware that the route is on Goggle Earth, thanks.

Bill,

Thanks for the link.
I rode that section last weekend (Lancaster to Doylestown).
As I had planned to ride the BikePA S route on a 23 mm tire, avoiding
the rails to trails sections and remain on asphalt. The info on
alternate routes should turn out to be most helpful.

I had started from map #1, generating a cue sheet and gmap-pedometer
route in .gpx and opened that in Google Earth to view intersections
and get elevations. I don't think that I worked out the route as far
as Connellsville yet, as the weather has been good and I've been
outside on the bike quite a bit. The segments were broken up according
to BikePA South map pages. gmap-pedometer has some stability issues
with longer routes, although the newer version has been quite stable
(with Firefox 2.0.0.3) and http://www.elsewhere.org/GMapToGPX.

-bdbafh

Old April 30th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tenspeedca

On Apr 28, 3:02 pm, wrote:
I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Looking forward to your updates. Last year I cycled Cumberland to DC
on the C&O Canal, and in 2 weeks will be doing Cumberland to
Pittsburgh vicinity on Allegheny Highlands trails. This is a fantastic
ride.

Old May 2nd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Apr 30, 9:47 am, Tenspeedca wrote:
On Apr 28, 3:02 pm, wrote:

I am cycling to Washington DC from the Pittsburgh area Sunday, April
29th, 2007. I have a blog that will track the trip:

blog.omnio.org

I am updating this blog from the trail via my smartphone.

Come visit and track my progress.

Looking forward to your updates. Last year I cycled Cumberland to DC
on the C&O Canal, and in 2 weeks will be doing Cumberland to
Pittsburgh vicinity on Allegheny Highlands trails. This is a fantastic
ride.

Very cool. I am looking forward to your updates as well. I have been
planning out a 6-day, 600+mile solo ride out here in TX. Houston to
San Antonio, to Corpus Christi, back to Houston. As soon as I've got
the leg between Houston and Corpus Christi nailed down I will set a
date - probably late summer. I was thinking about doing the same thing
- tracking my progress online, uploading photos, keeping a blog, so
on. I will let everyone know how it goes!