New Italian Gear Train

Old May 7th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New Italian Gear Train

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:36:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Electronic shifting for all of my training gives me the creeps. On of the group I ride with got a Di2 setup and I was asking how long the battery lasted and he gave me some cock and bull story about it lasting for weeks. Half way through the first ride it failed.

My Shimano 7970 battery lasts YEARS between recharges. Thousands of miles.
Old May 8th 19, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 6 May 2019 20:33:05 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I can remember Bicycling magazine running an article that insisted that 10 gears was plenty and that you didn't need 15 gears.

I found twelve gears worlds aplenty when I lived in Albany County, New
York, at the foot of the eastern cliffs of the Helderbergs.

I vividly remember the moment during a Century tour when I realized
that Camp Pinnacle was only halfway up.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old May 8th 19, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 12:36:37 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On of the group I ride with got a Di2 setup and I was asking how long the battery lasted and he gave me some cock and bull story about it lasting for weeks. Half way through the first ride it failed.

That's what he gets for being a weight weenie. I have the Shimano "Smover" DI2 on my Trek, the full automatic shifter which you do not have to instruct to change (unlike the wretched "racing version" which isn't automatic at all but simply electrically assisted shifting), and which includes electronic adaptive suspension which tunes the fork(s) to the road conditions and works much faster than hydraulics or springs, very nice, and the "battery" on it is permanent, never needs replacement, and is continuously charged from the hub dynamo included in the gruppo. Shimano calls it a "battery" but I peeked inside the computer that controls everything and discovered it is a small capacitor. Of course, the gruppo weighs a couple of pounds more than the wretched "racing" Di2. This superior bicycle and its DI2 accourtremens can be seen in the photo-essay at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGsmover.html
I might add that, though the full Di2 I have was supplied only to OEMs, complete bicycles with the outbox were priced so competitively by i.a. Gazelle and Trek (in Europe -- they never sold this version in the States), that I imagine the gruppo cost only a small fraction of the cut-down version for which roadies allowed themselves to be ripped off because Shimano's flacks told them they were "special" and it was "an advance especially for racers"..

I've been saying since roundabout the turn of the century that the Shimano semi-auto system is a rip, so I'm glad someone else noticed at last.

Andre Jute
BTW, on my everyday bike, a Utopia Kranich, I have 141 gears, 14 mechanical in the Rohloff Speed Drive hub gearbox with the electronic selector switched out, plus 126 combinations of the Rohloff with the 9 electronic ranges in the Bafang BBS fitted through the bottom bracket, plus a constantly variable transmission (CVT) effect with the throttle, which is distinct from the 9 electronic ranges, being usable with or without them. In practice I use about 35 of these gear combinations almost without noticing because the switching is so easy.
Old May 9th 19, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:29:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/ingri...peed-groupset/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I find it irritating that nothing else will match the Campy levers to a rear derailleur. It is $500 for a Campy 10 speed rear derailleur with a medium length cage. If I didn't like the levers so much I would change to something else. I like being able to shift 4 or 5 gears at a time.
Old May 9th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/9/2019 2:02 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:29:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/ingri...peed-groupset/

I find it irritating that nothing else will match the Campy levers to a rear derailleur. It is $500 for a Campy 10 speed rear derailleur with a medium length cage. If I didn't like the levers so much I would change to something else. I like being able to shift 4 or 5 gears at a time.

Your hub supports Campagnolo 11 and changing to current
Ergos with 11~32 uses the new short changer. You can change
4 gears lower with one pass but higher gears are one per
click. There are other nice features as well. Upgrading when
your cassette & chain are at replacement anyway is not all
that expensive.

Old May 9th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 2:02:10 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 6:29:13 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/ingri...peed-groupset/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I find it irritating that nothing else will match the Campy levers to a rear derailleur. It is $500 for a Campy 10 speed rear derailleur with a medium length cage. If I didn't like the levers so much I would change to something else. I like being able to shift 4 or 5 gears at a time.

Please tell us, are you stupid, or dumb?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/campagnolo-record-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod25951?gs=1&sku=sku81177&pgrid=54137515364&ptai d=pla-431997206094&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campa ign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|srMPQUws1_dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd |81177US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Km-w6OP4gIV0LrACh3c7g2IEAQYASABEgJDMPD_BwE

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/campagnolo-veloce-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod57880?gs=1&sku=sku442437&pgrid=54137515364&pta id=pla-431997203454&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campa ign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m kwid|sbmQJGg4z_dc|pcrid|253659801802|pkw||pmt||prd |442437US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Km-w6OP4gIV0LrACh3c7g2IEAQYAyABEgIbNvD_BwE

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...yABEgJTT_D_BwE

ChainReactionCycles and ProBikeKit and ModernBike all have medium cage Campagnolo 10 speed rear derailleurs for $75 to $215.
Old May 10th 19, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:30:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Doesn't it feel good to you to show what you think makes you feel as if you know what you're talking about? How many of these Record derailleurs have you bought? And exactly what would bring you to show Veloce parts? Are you so ignorant that you think that I was talking about a Veloce derailleur as being $500?

ANYTHING can be advertised. The question is if they can be delivered. When I called them I'm being told that they have to special order them, (the last time I tried this they were not in stock) pay California taxes and shipping. But THAT would shock you wouldn't it? Exactly why do you think that there are these derailleurs on Ebay at $500? Are you completely incapable of thought?

Plainly, you believe your Tiagra components are perfectly great.
Old May 10th 19, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:24:20 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Andrew - Do I understand you to say that I can shift a 32 with a normal cage 11 speed rear derailleur?

Because it is so difficult to find 10 speed components and because Campy stops making spares the moment that they begin making a new generation of parts the only thing I would be worried about is Campy shortly changing to 12 speeds.
Old May 10th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 4:27:01 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I shift a 32 with my medium cage Super Record 11 speed rear derailleur with no problem. I don't understand why people would buy a short cage rear derailleur.

Lou
Old May 10th 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Mine came with my bike and I haven’t changed it yet. That said I have a
SRAM 52/36 11-28 and it shifts fine. I think I could do an 11-32 but
haven’t tried. Not sure I need it though.

--
duane

Multi-Gear fixed Gear freewheel? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 3 October 28th 15 11:34 AM
fasten broke gear chain to frame after pulling it into a specific gear Emanuel Berg Techniques 6 May 23rd 15 11:19 PM
HTC train atriage[_5_] Racing 0 July 8th 11 05:07 PM
WTB: Banesto Gear or Prime Alliance Gear Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 November 19th 04 08:44 PM
Drive train / Gear Inches (cm) software malcomm Australia 0 October 8th 04 06:01 AM