Cheaper Axle Nut Wrench

Old March 2nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cheaper Axle Nut Wrench

Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. Hope this helps
Old March 2nd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Big Jim Pack says

Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to
remove your track/ singlespeed wheels. Go to Home Depot and
get 7 stubby open end/box end combo wrenches in metric
for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10
with $10 shipping - what a rip. Hope this helps

I was thinking of this very subject this morning Big Jim as I was
truing a wheel on my home made fixture. My list of shop built, "good
enough for who they're for" tools include:

* Wheel Truing Fixture
* Chain Whips (4)
* Freewheel removers (3)
* Cone wrenches (4)
* BB spanner
* BB internal "socket"
* Steering head cup press
* Third Hand Tool
* Cable and Housing Cutter/s

My next ambition is to make a tensiometer.

Who among us wouldn't enjoy an all expense paid Park Tool shopping
spree or stumbling upon a chest of barely used VAR tools while
scrounging flee markets and yard sales? Until that day of infamy
arrives I'll make do or do without!

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

PS- I recognize the need for specialized tools in the hands of
professionals.

Old March 2nd 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 2, 6:31*pm, wrote:
Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. *Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . *I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. *Hope this helps

A 15mm wrench came with every of a particular Fuji bike the LBS sold.
I guess for the pedals. Anyway, they just threw them into a box and
once they reached about a thousand, they started throwing them away.
Maybe other LBS's have similar stockpiles.

I hacksawed off half of mine and wrapped the remaining handle in left-
over used bar tape for padding. Fits in my pocket better and nice and
comfy!

Joseph
Old March 3rd 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:31:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. Hope this helps

yeah, but the Campag Peanut Butter wrench
http://www.businesscycles.com/trtool_peanutbutter.htm is a thing of
beauty, and it has big rounded ends which don't snag on your jersey
pockets every time you put it in or take it out. Isn't that worth
$27.50?

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old March 3rd 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Mar 2, 12:31 pm, wrote:
Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. Hope this helps

Why a stubby? I have a $12 CDN Canadian Tire "Red" 15mm wrench. It's
smooth, it's lighter than the $9 wrench by far, and it's longer, too.
In fact, it's long enough to double as a pedal wrench, and the "Red"
ones are guarenteed for life.
Old March 3rd 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Franklin

On Mar 2, 6:53*pm, Kinky Cowboy wrote:
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:31:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:
Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. *Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . *I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. *Hope this helps

yeah, but the Campag Peanut Butter wrenchhttp://www.businesscycles.com/trtool_peanutbutter.htmis a thing of
beauty, and it has big rounded ends which don't snag on your jersey
pockets every time you put it in or take it out. Isn't that worth
$27.50?

Cannot find it right now, but there is/was a double sided
"peanut butter" style wrench that was 14/15mm for
bottom brackets. Could be handy for those of us
caught in the Miche "we'll put some 14 and some 15
mm nuts on our track hubs because we're idiots
who don't ride" phase. A freidn of mine had a rear
track hub with a 14mm on one side and a 15mm
on the other. Fresh from the factory bag.
Old March 3rd 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I wanted a wrench to fit in my saddle wedge I have a longer one but it
wont fit in bag.

On Mar 2, 9:42*pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:31 pm, wrote:

Don't be fool and pay $20+ for a wrench to remove your track/
singlespeed wheels. *Go to Home Depot and get 7 stubby open end/box
end combo wrenches in metric for $15 or so. 15mm worked on mine . *I
looked all over and the cheapest single wrench was $10 with $10
shipping - what a rip. *Hope this helps

Why a stubby? I have a $12 CDN Canadian Tire "Red" 15mm wrench. It's
smooth, it's lighter than the $9 wrench by far, and it's longer, too.
In fact, it's long enough to double as a *pedal wrench, and the "Red"
ones are guarenteed for life.

Cheaper degreasers than Muc-off [email protected] UK 36 May 8th 07 05:34 PM
Axle slipping when tightening track hub axle nut mickster Techniques 10 February 21st 06 12:18 AM
Like-a-bike only cheaper wafflycat UK 10 June 17th 05 06:58 PM
new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability Gemma_k Techniques 2 April 24th 05 12:52 PM