which generation Campys for bullhorn bars?

Old March 4th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_177_]

Default which generation Campys for bullhorn bars?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy some used Campy brifters for a bullhorn frankenbike
commuter I'm putting together, and I'm a bit undecided about which
generation to aim for.
The rounded ones (post -97 or so) are said to be more comfy when riding
on the hoods, which shouldn't be a concern for me.
OTOH the current 10-spd interfaces nicely with an 8spd Shimano
drivetrain, which might come in handy.
It would also keep all options open if I'd like to go to drop bars
later.
Then again they are likely to come with the QS, which would interfere a
bit with my current frankenbike theme.

The earlier version seems to be available at lower prices, don't have
the QS function, but would all require a 'shift mate'
(http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm) unless I settle for 7 spd
Shimano for the rest of the drivtrain.

Lacking other defining features i started thinking about the curvature
of the levers, is there perhaps something there that would make one
generation of Campy brifters more suitable than another for use on
bullhorn bars?

Any other thoughts?

--
dabac

Old March 5th 08, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Mar 4, 1:43 pm, dabac
wrote:
[...]

How are you routing the cables? All Ergos route the cables out the
top. The bodies could maybe be modified to run the brake cables out
the bottom, but definitely not the shift cables. I don't know that
either style is suitable for bullhorns.
Old March 5th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_179_]

Hank Wrote:
How are you routing the cables?

Good question. Hopefully under the tape, but apart from that it's all
guesswork and uncharted territories for me.

Hank Wrote:
All Ergos route the cables out the
top. The bodies could maybe be modified to run the brake cables out
the bottom, but definitely not the shift cables.

Well, I've never tinkered with Ergos before so I wouldn't know.

Hank Wrote:
I don't know that either style is suitable for bullhorns.

Now that would be a bummer. Should I be looking at bar end shifters
instead?

--
dabac