Old BIANCHI Rebuild

Old November 18th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Old BIANCHI Rebuild

A friend gave me this old BIANCHI road bike frame.

I rebuilt it with Shimano Adamas AX front and rear deraillers, Shimano ratchet downtube ****ers, Tiagra crankset (for the more aero look), Lyotard platform pedals, Shimano brake calipers, Dia-comp aero brake levers, Miche hubs laced to Mavic GP4 tubular rims. It has a 6-speed Shimano freewheel with 14-28 teeth but I'll be getting one with a 24 teeth low cog.

The seatpost clamp is unlike any I've ever seen before. It has a post in either side of the clamp and a 13mm nut is threaded onto each post from the inside. Adjusting this clamp is interesting because you have to loosen one nut quite a bit and push the bolt out a fair bit in order to be able to loosen the other bolt.

Andrew, do you have any idea as to when this seatpost was made?

Images (11 of them) of the bike can be seen here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57661306403506

Cheers
Old November 18th 15, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/18/2015 12:03 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Frame's a 1980-ish Bianchi USA made in Osaka (by Tano or
someone like them). Post looks to be[1] the Sakae Ringyo
version of the classic Simplex post. I like them but YMMV.

http://www.tractorpartsonlinestore.c...seat-post.html

Most of the major components are not original to that series
and the head angle looks oddly steep - is it bent or merely
askew in the photo?

[1] no detail photo

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/18/2015 1:03 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

That's twice given me "flickr 404, page not found."

??

Sometimes this internet thing just doesn't work right.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 14:36:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Clear you cache or try the shortcut link at:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskptkXLW

Sometimes this internet thing just doesn't work right.

If computah stuff actually worked, I would have been out of business
long ago.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 18th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Cache clearing failed. Shortcut succeeded, thanks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 15, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 2:22:06 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andrew.

I know the components I used aren't original to that frame but I liked the fram and those old components and it seems to be a nicve happy marriage between them.

The head tube is a bit more vertical than normal because my friend hit a car with that frame. There's very slgight buckling of the top tube and down tube right behind the head tube but surprisingly it doesn't affect the ability to ride the bike with no hands.

I just drilled the frame and installed to Rivnuts and mounted one of those old Shimano AX bottle cages and aero water bottle. I'll post images of that tomorrow and some detail shots of that seat post.

That seat post sure has a positive clamp.

Cheers
Old November 18th 15, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/18/2015 4:45 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Give that post a chance (oil the bolt threads). They hold
position well and have infinite angle adjust, no notches.

Old November 18th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/18/2015 5:45 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

The head tube is a bit more vertical than normal because my friend hit a car with that frame.

There's very slgight buckling of the top tube and down tube right behind
the head tube but
surprisingly it doesn't affect the ability to ride the bike with no hands.

About 30 years ago, I recall seeing a couple of touring cyclists passing
through our town. Turned out they were newly married, and doing a
coast-to-coast honeymoon.

The woman's bike had the same "customized" head tube angle as your bike.
Same cause, and it happened very early in their trip, in California.
She said the handling was just fine, even with her full camping load.

It reminds me of the "unridable bike" exercise that one physicist
performed many years ago. Briefly, despite trying some really weird
tricks, he failed to make a bike that was anything like a normal
configuration, but couldn't be ridden.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 6:02:12 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/18/2015 4:45 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Snipped
That seat post sure has a positive clamp.

Cheers

Give that post a chance (oil the bolt threads). They hold
position well and have infinite angle adjust, no notches.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Oh not to worry Andrew. that post is staying!

I got it apart yesterday before I took the images today and I like how positive the clamping action is between the post and the saddle rails. Besides, that post is weird looking and I like some weird looking stuff like the Shimano AX aero components. The infinite adjustability is what sold me on that post once I figured out how to get it apart to swap the saddle to tthat blue one in the images.

Thanks again and cheers.
Old November 19th 15, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 10:03:49 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

I've got one of those that came on a bike that Andrew estimated was
from the 1980's. Mine is marked "BELT Tokyo".
--

Cheers,

John B.

How often to rebuild bearings Phillip Mcracken Techniques 7 July 27th 09 04:26 AM
Look Pedal Rebuild Scott Techniques 1 July 15th 06 01:40 PM
Ergo rebuild help res09c5t Techniques 3 July 9th 06 03:17 AM
How often to rebuild? Prometheus7 Techniques 17 April 20th 05 05:46 PM
Ergo rebuild Andrew Karre Techniques 4 February 8th 05 02:00 PM