Why no fenders, lights etcetera on bicycles from factory?

Old November 19th 15, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Why no fenders, lights etcetera on bicycles from factory?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:10:27 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 06:09:20 +1000, James
wrote:

On 19/11/15 03:07, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:21:13 +1000, James
wrote:

On 18/11/15 12:33, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Also, I'm still tinkering with wire rope and plastic drive chains. The
wear on the plastic parts can be horrendous, but I think I can make
something that will last a race, ride, or tour.

I'll wait for the ceramic version. Ceramic bits are always faster.

Why wait? There are plenty of ceramic bearing vendors. For example:
http://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/
However, I'm talking about the gears and chain, not the bearings. Or
maybe just get rid of the chain:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chainless+bicycle&tbm=isch

I know what you were talking about. I know about ceramic bearings as
well. When you have replaced the plastic bits on the wire rope with
ceramic bits, I might take interest.

Well, I tried the molded plastic beads on a stainless wire rope
variety and had the plastic beads slip. In order to get a better grip
on the wire rope cable, I went to brass, iron, and zinc beads that
were crimped onto the cable. Crimping deformed the bead excessively,
so I'm playing with the design of a stamping arrangement to literally
shrink the diameter of the bead. That's where I'm currently stuck due
to lack of time. Too many other (paying) projects. Bug me in about a
year.

Using my pull test, I'm finding that the softer metals work best for
the beads because they cover a larger surface area of the cable. I
don't think ceramic will work unless I mold it to the cable, and then
bake it in a kiln. It's also rather brittle and might crack when the
cable is bent. I don't see ceramic as a good solution for a cable
drive.

Somewhere I've seen round stainless balls swedged onto a cable which
would likely work.

But steel cable has internal friction and most cables require
lubricating to improve longevity. And I suspect that the radius of any
sheaves will also have to be considered.
--

Cheers,

John B.