17 years olds and priority

Old June 10th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 17 years olds and priority

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 8:53:18 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 5:40:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I am not going to fix them he can you are correct. Frankly he was is like me a runner first the bike is to get around. He just has what I only can dream........1:59 800 meter
Speed. That is faster than some ride a bike.

He laughs at my now 9-10 minute running pace but I could smoke him in a century big time.

Crush him now because you wont have the chance later.

Most kids in my son's cohort were not mechanical at age 17 or particularly interested in bikes. Your son sounds totally normal. My son got interested in bikes in college and can now crush me like a bug regardless of distance, He currently rides with guys who are doing times up the canyons in SLC equivalent to the Tour of Utah riders, which is staggering. My son gets dropped, but he's a big guy and doesn't do the same crazy miles as his friends. Anyway, when we ride together, he lollygags, and I gasp for air. The days of crushing him are a distant memory.

As for fixing his bike, he worked in a couple of bike shops where he got some mechanical training, but he's still not much of a mechanic. He'll get there one day. It's the rare kid who really knows or cares how to fix bikes -- or cars or plumbing, etc., etc. They can, however, Instagram.

-- Jay Beattie.

I built up really nice bikes for my four step kids. The oldest two never got interested. The youngest two race nationally and rode from Oregon to the Atlantic ocean. Then totally lost interest.
Old June 12th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-09 22:20, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 08:24:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 4:59:26 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
So my 17 year old's bike a cross bike is see in garage with
wheels off and tire off rim. What Happen I ask him and he says
tires popped? Ok where are the skewers. I don't know. Well go
find them now we need them. After awhile no finding he says they
are like a $5 part so what.

I patch the tubes for the 2nd time they are fine hold air. No
skewers to hold tire on bike and I am getting irritated no
responsibility. He has this attitude that so what and now I am
thinking he can cough up the skewers and the cash. I go to the
trouble of patching tubes because it gets the job done for
pennies and this crap.

Rant on

Mark, why would you even do a minutes work on your son's bike if he
isn't interested in riding?

Or to put it another way, why can't the kid do it himself?

Yup. My dad fixed a tube on my kid's bike when I was 6 or 7. Once. "Son,
you better watch really good now because next time you do it". Next time
I came home with a flat my dad said "You know where the tools are to get
the wheel out and where the patch kit is".

It was similar with other chores such as our oil-based central heater
which was occasionally recalcitrant. I soon understood the need because
dad often was on business trips and sometimes things went
whoop-whoop-PHUT down in the basement room where the heater was, and
then it got cold in the house. So it was time to man up and fix it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 12th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Before the railroad became union, my father had to do all of his own repairs on his cars. He never explained a thing but I watched and learned. I earned by first car by doing mechanical work on a used car lot. Can't say that a 1951 Pontiac was the great car around but it was MY car.
Old June 12th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 4:59:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So my 17 year old's bike a cross bike is see in garage with wheels off and tire off rim. What Happen I ask him and he says tires popped? Ok where are the skewers. I don't know. Well go find them now we need them. After awhile no finding he says they are like a $5 part so what.

I patch the tubes for the 2nd time they are fine hold air. No skewers to hold tire on bike and I am getting irritated no responsibility. He has this attitude that so what and now I am thinking he can cough up the skewers and the cash. I go to the trouble of patching tubes because it gets the job done for pennies and this crap.

Rant on

Deacon mark

By age 17, my Dad had me trueing my own wheels. Probably by 13 or 14, he handed down his old spoke wrench to me and showed me how to straighten out my rear wheel after I had a fall on my 1972 Schwinn Continental that I bought with savings from my paper route. Oiling the chain was about not using the right amount of his can of 3 in 1 oil that the chain got oil without any dripping on the driveway. Still have his 1940's patch kit with dried out patches inside, attached to his 1946 Schwinn B6 Phantom cruiser with the locking steerer tube and we just won WWII HarleyDavidson-ish green/white with red hand pinstriped paint scheme. August 1945 frame serial number date, cost $25 in 1946, as my great-grandfather's 13th birthday present to him. Dad also showed me the oil hole for the New Departure rear coaster brake hub, and I've ridden it enough to experience why the New Departure did need oiling.

Taking care of your own bike should be a no-brainer, what else are you supposed to do?
Old June 12th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

Ahh, you were looky. Whe -our- dad used to get home, he would slice us in two with the breadknife, and dance about on our graves.

Old June 13th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

Enough of these unsubstantiated stories. Let's see some pics.

Old June 13th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Me, too! That is such a coincidence! What kind of knife? My dad really loved his Gerber.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 13th 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I must be mis-remembering. I just looked at some pictures and it must have been a 1949 Pontiac. It have a glorious blue so faded that it looked more like cardboard. But it had a straight 8 flathead and the brakes actually worked after I had the drums turned.
Old June 13th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

A butcher knife, of course! Dad:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mad+...kQZVH2ZpcrWQM:

Old June 13th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I just learned about the "else" side:

https://www.velofix.com/

A story about them ran in our weekend paper and yesterday during my ride
I met one of the two local repair guys at the brew pub where I stop. You
can ride your bike to work, schedule a tune-up or other needed repair,
they show up in a fancy new Mercedes Sprinter van and while you are
attending a work meeting or whatever your bike gets serviced. They also
come to residential neighborhoods, events and such.

News or Olds? Tom Kunich Racing 1 September 10th 09 12:21 AM
brake levers for 5 year olds meb[_53_] Techniques 8 January 1st 08 11:37 PM
16 year olds on EPO erik saunders Racing 26 January 28th 05 05:58 PM
Bikes for 5 year olds in East Anglia?? Fumier UK 9 January 23rd 05 09:15 PM
What bicycle for 7-year-olds, and where to get it from D.M. Procida UK 45 August 9th 04 04:08 PM