A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Shimano BL-R400 Drop bar levers with long V-brakes?

Old July 14th 17, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Shimano BL-R400 Drop bar levers with long V-brakes?

Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes.. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT wantto use any adapters.

Thanks and cheers
Ads
Old July 14th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/13/2017 8:26 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT wantto use any adapters.

Thanks and cheers

You're right they are not compatible.
I don't think Shimano currently offers a road aero lever for
linear brakes.

Use Tektro RL-520

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old July 14th 17, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:26:50 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

Thanks and cheers

I can't comment on the BL-R400 levers but I do use conventional
"brifters" with Shimano Vee brakes. If you have straight wheels and
use a very narrow pad to rim clearance it is doable.

But it is a kludge as to get the brakes open enough to change a wheel
you need to loosen the cable length adjustment all the way before you
can get the noodle loose from the brake quick release.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 14th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 7/14/2017 1:45 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:26:50 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Thanks and cheers

I can't comment on the BL-R400 levers but I do use conventional
"brifters" with Shimano Vee brakes. If you have straight wheels and
use a very narrow pad to rim clearance it is doable.

But it is a kludge as to get the brakes open enough to change a wheel
you need to loosen the cable length adjustment all the way before you
can get the noodle loose from the brake quick release.

Supposedly, Tektro 917A brakes have 75mm arms (about 3"), much shorter
than typical. Those would require proportionately less cable pull. I
wonder if they'd make conventional levers possible. That's assuming
clearance for tires and fender, if applicable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:26:53 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT want to use any adapters.

I have used them but the problem is that you have to set the V-brake so tight to have enough lever motion that it is almost impossible to get the V-brake to release to get a wheel out.
Old July 15th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:39:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Thanks and cheers

linear brakes.

Use Tektro RL-520

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks for confirming that Andrew. Ireturned the BL-R400 levers today and they ordered me the Tektro RL-520 ones. Should have them by Friday next week..

Cheers
Old July 15th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 4:56:20 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:39:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Thanks and cheers

linear brakes.

Use Tektro RL-520

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Thanks for confirming that Andrew. Ireturned the BL-R400 levers today and they ordered me the Tektro RL-520 ones. Should have them by Friday next week.

Don't expect a big change. The leverage is less so the pull is longer but you have to have stronger hands.