Shimano BL-R400 Drop bar levers with long V-brakes?

Old July 14th 17, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shimano BL-R400 Drop bar levers with long V-brakes?

Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes.. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT wantto use any adapters.

Thanks and cheers
Old July 14th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/13/2017 8:26 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT wantto use any adapters.

Thanks and cheers

You're right they are not compatible.
I don't think Shimano currently offers a road aero lever for
linear brakes.

Use Tektro RL-520

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 14th 17, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:26:50 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT wantto use any adapters.

Thanks and cheers

I can't comment on the BL-R400 levers but I do use conventional
"brifters" with Shimano Vee brakes. If you have straight wheels and
use a very narrow pad to rim clearance it is doable.

But it is a kludge as to get the brakes open enough to change a wheel
you need to loosen the cable length adjustment all the way before you
can get the noodle loose from the brake quick release.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 14th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Supposedly, Tektro 917A brakes have 75mm arms (about 3"), much shorter
than typical. Those would require proportionately less cable pull. I
wonder if they'd make conventional levers possible. That's assuming
clearance for tires and fender, if applicable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 6:26:53 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Can Shimano BL-R400 brake levers for drop bars be used with normal long arm V-brake calipers WITHOUT having to use an adapter?

The local bike shop ordered me thse BL-R400 brake levers because their catalogue had them listed as being long arm V-brake compatible. However when I opened the box the instructions show them being used with dual-pivot brakes. Before I put them onto my bike with the V-brakes i want to be surethese will stop me when it's raining outside which is something I know that non-V-brake compatible brake levers will not do.

SO, are these BL-R400 brake levers non-long arm V-brake compatible? I do NOT want to use any adapters.

I have used them but the problem is that you have to set the V-brake so tight to have enough lever motion that it is almost impossible to get the V-brake to release to get a wheel out.
Old July 15th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 9:39:00 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks for confirming that Andrew. Ireturned the BL-R400 levers today and they ordered me the Tektro RL-520 ones. Should have them by Friday next week..

Cheers
Old July 15th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 4:56:20 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Don't expect a big change. The leverage is less so the pull is longer but you have to have stronger hands.