Flashing froint lights

Old August 16th 17, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Flashing froint lights

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:28:28 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/15/2017 6:05 AM, John B. wrote:

To be honest I drove for a short period after my cataracts were really
badly effecting my vision. But one of the problems with failing vision
is that you have, at least in my case, literally years to get used to
it. The results are that right up to the time that you are nearly
blind you feel that your vision is normal.

After having a cataract removed there is a short period where the
vision in that eye is so blurry that you just don't use it, but about
a week after the operation you can use the eye and it is amazing how
bright the colors are. And the detail! My God! I can see all the way
across the road!

That is not to say that everyone that hits a cyclist has cataracts but
having experienced it I can see how it might happen.

Of course, people will say things like "Well, you should have known",
but how? After all your vision is just like it was yesterday.

I wonder how many jurisdictions require vision tests with each license
renewal? I know I've had to pass such a test.

I think it may be more likely in the U.S. as I read articles about
some state "back east" investigating an accident and discovering that
one of the drivers was legally blind and with a great deal of furor
changed the licensing laws to require an eye check after an individual
reached a certain age.

Over here you supposedly are tested for driving ability, vision and
reaction time when you initially apply for a license. Subsequently one
simply reapplies and pays the fee. Thai citizens can be issued a life
time license and never have to renew it. My wife has been driving for
something like 20 years on the same license :-)

Unfortunately, I once observed one very old, very confused guy renewing
his driver's license with the help of his daughter, who was a woman at
least in her 50s. The old guy kept guessing wrong when reading the eye
chart, which was contained within a countertop machine. He was also
repeatedly confused about the button he had to push to turn it on. His
daughter was pleading for them to give him a break because "He never
drives at night!"

Unfortunately, on about the sixth or seventh try he guessed enough of
the letters right, and was turned loose on the world. :-/

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 19:17:54 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

On 15/08/17 05:00, John B. wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y93sgm5s

You can now buy personal flashing lights. Since, as we are taught
here, flashing lights make you safe these may become essential to
those living in California, where it is understood that flashing
lights are necessary to protect lives.

Think if it! Your very own flashing lights to keep you safe in even
the most intimate situations.

(I initially misspelled the word "situations" and my spell checker
suggested "scintillations". However, I thought that perhaps some do
not scintillate when intimate , so corrected it :-)

I'm not convinced. They don't appear to be showing a steady or flashing
red light to the rear.

That will probably, assuming sufficient demand, be a part of the NEW!
BETTER! 2018 design :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 17, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y93sgm5s

You can now buy personal flashing lights.
Since, as we are taught here, flashing lights
make you safe these may become essential to
those living in California, where it is
understood that flashing lights are necessary
to protect lives.

The "fisheye" (1 or 2 LEDs) lamps here that are
very common has a flashing mode as well as
a solid. So now some people have the flashing
mode on - very annoying! In Denmark it is even
more common. When it first started to appear
a couple of years ago I stopped people and told
them to use the solid state. That was when it
was very uncommon. It is still uncommon but not
uncommon enough for me to do it. Now I only
stop people who has a red light in front or the
white one to the back, or both. Immigrants from
exotic countries almost exclusively.
When I approach them they get so scared so when
they hear about the lamps they are so relieved
that was the whole thing so they change
immediately

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Flashing lights for hub dynamo Andre Jute Techniques 16 January 23rd 08 01:45 AM
Flashing lights revisited Mike Causer UK 28 October 28th 06 07:56 PM
Flashing lights Steve Hodgson UK 40 November 3rd 05 11:33 PM
Flashing Lights Now Legal [email protected] UK 6 September 19th 05 07:28 PM
Blue flashing lights.... Luigi de Guzman General 9 October 23rd 03 09:14 PM