Can't remove Pedals.

Old March 9th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
salmon[_2_]

Default Can't remove Pedals.

Need to grease my pedal bearings but I can't get to the spindle and
bearings till I get the pedals off. Pedals held on by a 14mm nut. The
pedals have a square hole that fits onto the squared ends of the
spindle. After removing the nut, I tried to knock the pedals off the
spindle with a hammer, but, no go. I think I need some sort of hub-
puller tool but I don't have one. Any ideas please anyone? Oh! the
pedal cranks are plastic covered so heat seems to be out of the
question. The bike is a Raleigh Mega something with oversized tubing.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Old March 9th 07, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
salmon[_2_]

Sorry that should have read pedal cranks. My mistake.

Need to grease my pedal crank bearings but I can't get to the spindle and
bearings till I get the pedal cranks off. Pedal cranks held on to the spindle by a 14mm nut. The
pedal cranks have a square hole that fits onto the squared ends of the
spindle. After removing the nut, I tried to knock the pedal crankss off the

Old March 9th 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

salmon wrote:
Sorry that should have read pedal cranks. My mistake.

Need to grease my pedal crank bearings but I can't get to the spindle and
bearings till I get the pedal cranks off. Pedal cranks held on to the spindle by a 14mm nut. The
pedal cranks have a square hole that fits onto the squared ends of the
spindle. After removing the nut, I tried to knock the pedal crankss off the
spindle with a hammer, but, no go. I think I need some sort of hub-
puller tool but I don't have one. Any ideas please anyone? Oh! the
pedal cranks are plastic covered so heat seems to be out of the
question. The bike is a Raleigh Mega something with oversized tubing.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

Using percussive maintenance is probably not a good idea.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"The war isn't the war between the blacks and the whites, the
liberals and the conservatives, or the Federation and the
Romulans. It's between the clueful and the clueless." (an
anonymous poster on cypherpunks list)
Old March 9th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Don Whybrow wrote:
salmon wrote:
Sorry that should have read pedal cranks. My mistake.

Need to grease my pedal crank bearings but I can't get to the
spindle and bearings till I get the pedal cranks off. Pedal cranks held
on to
the spindle by a 14mm nut. The pedal cranks have a square hole that
fits onto the squared ends of the spindle. After removing the nut, I
tried to knock the pedal crankss
off the spindle with a hammer, but, no go. I think I need some sort of
hub-
puller tool but I don't have one. Any ideas please anyone? Oh! the
pedal cranks are plastic covered so heat seems to be out of the
question. The bike is a Raleigh Mega something with oversized
tubing. Many thanks for any suggestions.

Using percussive maintenance is probably not a good idea.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

Stuff shown on the above is fine, with the following additions for the
original poster:

The cranks are square-taper. So, the stuff in the article about aligning
all the splines on the octalink doesn't apply.

An bicycle crank puller (extractor), plus a decent spanner to wind it in,
should do the trick. If spanner won't shift the crank, then put an extension
tube over the spanner (eg. 3ft of car exhaust pipe) and gently push down at
end.

A bicycle crank puller should cost under £10. Without the tool, it will be
a struggle with a fair chance of doing more damage than good.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old March 10th 07, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article .com,
salmon
says...
Need to grease my pedal bearings but I can't get to the spindle and
bearings till I get the pedals off. Pedals held on by a 14mm nut. The
pedals have a square hole that fits onto the squared ends of the
spindle. After removing the nut, I tried to knock the pedals off the
spindle with a hammer, but, no go. I think I need some sort of hub-
puller tool but I don't have one. Any ideas please anyone? Oh! the
pedal cranks are plastic covered so heat seems to be out of the
question. The bike is a Raleigh Mega something with oversized tubing.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

How about many suggestions? :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160092030751
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120081425582
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150036673787
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160014438169
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=4000000806
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=5360011047
http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Pr...d=FISAW06TL048
http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Pr...=FISAW06TL6339
http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Cr...ctor-Fsce.aspx
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7963
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=4939
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10181

Just hope you haven't done too much damage with the hammer.
Old March 10th 07, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Don Whybrow wrote:
salmon wrote:
[...]

So use this page http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

For bottom bracket (which the OP calls pedal crank bearing)
maintenance see this one
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=93
Old March 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

salmon wrote on 09/03/2007 21:20 +0100:
Sorry that should have read pedal cranks. My mistake.

If you can't afford a crank puller from the bike shop to do the job
properly you could try riding it with the nut off. It usually loosens
up pretty quickly but don't ride it once it starts to loosen or you will
damage the crank taper.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old March 10th 07, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com,
salmon
says...
Need to grease my pedal bearings but I can't get to the spindle and
bearings till I get the pedals off. Pedals held on by a 14mm nut. The
pedals have a square hole that fits onto the squared ends of the
spindle. After removing the nut, I tried to knock the pedals off the
spindle with a hammer, but, no go. I think I need some sort of hub-
puller tool but I don't have one. Any ideas please anyone? Oh! the
pedal cranks are plastic covered so heat seems to be out of the
question. The bike is a Raleigh Mega something with oversized tubing.
Many thanks for any suggestions.

How about many suggestions? :-)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160092030751
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120081425582

( Remainder of list of extractors deleted and not inspected).

There is a slight difference between the first and second on the above list.
Its small, but I think signifcant.

The first extractor has a domed end. Its meant for older bottom bracket
axles which had a stud at the end, and the crank is held in place with a
nut.

The second extractor has a flat end. Its meant for the newer bottom bracket
axles which have a threaded hole at the end, and the crank is held in place
with a bolt.

If the first type (domed end) is used on a newer axle (threaded hole), the
end can dig into the end of the axle. It usually works, but not ideal.

On my bikes, I have a couple with studs on end of axles (dating from before
1990, though the axles are still available as spares). All the household
bikes with cartridge bearings have threaded holes.

- Nigel

Old March 10th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stan Cox

mb wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:13:07 -0800, salmon wrote:

snip
Make sure you don't leave any washers in
before using.

Now thats the bit I always forget

Stan Cox
Old March 10th 07, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Nigel Cliffe
says...

There is a slight difference between the first and second on the above list.
Its small, but I think signifcant.

I think either sort will work better than a hammer. :-)