Driver uses her car as a weapon, Deptford

Old March 8th 07, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Default Driver uses her car as a weapon, Deptford

spindrift wrote:

OK, not the best example.

try this from another cyclist:

I have a bit of a nasty right turn I take on a two lane road,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGXCe2RGzZY

(it's not very exciting but demonstrates what happened). This chap in
a Jag decided that I shouldn't be taking the primary position as I was
holding him up.

It's another pretty inconclusive and rather shaky and unhelpful video.

As you can probably hear on the video I tried to explain why I was
there, for my own safety, however his answer to this was 'I cycle as
well you know, so I know what I am talking about'. I assume he's one
of the gutter cyclists then. I tried to point him in the direction of
Cyclecraft (I called it roadcraft at first!), but I don't think he
will heed my advice!

Was I right, or was the Jag driver right?

Difficult to say with degree of surety. The cyclist could usefully have
been further to the right without being in any significant danger, and
the motorist could usefully have had a bit more patience. Score draw,
perhaps. In any case, nobody is in any real danger here.

Whatever, if that's what you get for £120 I'll be keeping my £120.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 8th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 8 Mar, 11:55, Peter Clinch wrote:
spindrift wrote:
[...]

I think the jag's going straight on and objects to the cyclist waiting
for oncoming traffic to clear.

That's why the van driver asks wtf the Jag driver's problem is.

Why bib the horn?

Pointless, agressive driving, and exclaiming: "I'm a cyclist!" in
mitigation shows he's aware he's an idiot.

Look at the cyclist's positioning, any further to the right and cars
would undertake.

Old March 8th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

spindrift wrote:

Why bib the horn?

Pointless, agressive driving, and exclaiming: "I'm a cyclist!" in
mitigation shows he's aware he's an idiot.

Yup, he's an idiot. And you get to **** him off by staying where you
are as punishment for being an idiot. But nobdoy's actually getting hurt.

Look at the cyclist's positioning, any further to the right and cars
would undertake.

Well... yes. That was probably your Jag-man's thought too... It seems
to be a low speed situation where you'll stick out like a sore thumb and
you aren't going left into an undertaking vehicle's path, so why is that
actually a problem? If cars could undertake then traffic would be
flowing, and tempers would be less heated, and you'd still be set up for
your right turn. There are times when undertaking is bad, but I don't
immediately see this as being one of them.

Pete.
Old March 8th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Luggage

On 7 Mar, 12:56, "spindrift" wrote:

[snipped personal email from Matt B]

Posting the contents of a personal email online is utterly
reprehensible, whatever you think of the person who wrote it. Matt
commented on the group, and emailed you offline. There was no need for
you to put the contents of his email onto the group, particularly with
such patronising comments. I don't agree much with Matt, and try not
to get involved in head-butting a brick wall, but this was uncalled
for.

TL

Old March 8th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pyromancer

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Peter
Clinch gently breathed:

Difficult to say with degree of surety. The cyclist could usefully
have been further to the right without being in any significant danger,
and the motorist could usefully have had a bit more patience. Score
draw, perhaps. In any case, nobody is in any real danger here.

Whatever, if that's what you get for £120 I'll be keeping my £120.

I have occasionally wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to fit front
and rear cameras to the bike itself, thus giving a fixed and non-shaky
view fore and aft - often aggressive behaviour is most obvious behind
(hooting, yelling, etc) and hence a helmet-cam would miss it. Plus I
don't wear helmets.

Does anyone make such a rig, recording to some kind of memory or hard
disk device which could live in a pannier?

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old March 8th 07, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 8 Mar, 12:59, Peter Clinch wrote:
spindrift wrote:
[...]

From experience, where there are two lanes and room for just two cars

side by side, encouraging undertaking by leaving your self exactly
between the undertaker and oncoming traffic would be rash.

Look at the jaguar again, the indicator's on, he's turning right as
well and wants the cyclist to nip across over two lanes of traffic!

Old March 8th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Johns

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Pyromancer wrote:

I have occasionally wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to fit front
and rear cameras to the bike itself, thus giving a fixed and non-shaky

I've sometimes wondered about fitting front and rear cannons..
--
Chris Johns
Old March 8th 07, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Pyromancer wrote:

I have occasionally wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to fit front
and rear cameras to the bike itself, thus giving a fixed and non-shaky
view fore and aft

The "non shaky" bit could be a problem if the bike isn't suspended. You
might suspend the camera mount, but if the camera is small and light
(probably a Good Thing otherwise) it may well not have enough inertia to
take advantage.

But that's just a first pass guess outlining a potential problem, not
"it won't work!"

Does anyone make such a rig, recording to some kind of memory or hard
disk device which could live in a pannier?

Not that I know of, but (a) I haven't ever looked and (b) I would have
thought it amenable to a degree of bodgery. Get a wee USB web-can type
thingy and the power would come through the connection, then just leave
a tablet or laptop in the pannier for the recording. If you've already
got a laptop or tablet you'd maybe even get change from a tenner.

Pete.
Old March 8th 07, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

spindrift wrote:

From experience, where there are two lanes and room for just two cars
side by side, encouraging undertaking by leaving your self exactly
between the undertaker and oncoming traffic would be rash.

From mine, in a low speed situation such as this, it's not a problem.
Or I'd have been a sandwich long since. Countless pedestrians manage to
cross busy streets like this one on a daily basis by getting into the
middle first, and they're not really taking up less space than you in
any meaningful way.

Look at the jaguar again, the indicator's on, he's turning right as
well and wants the cyclist to nip across over two lanes of traffic!

So he's a bigger tosser than the fairly big tosser I first thought...
but he's not actually forcing you, and nobody's in real danger, so the
argument for having a camera is not really getting made here.

Pete.
Old March 8th 07, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Pyromancer wrote:

I have occasionally wondered if it wouldn't be a good idea to fit front
and rear cameras to the bike itself, thus giving a fixed and non-shaky
view fore and aft - often aggressive behaviour is most obvious behind
(hooting, yelling, etc) and hence a helmet-cam would miss it. Plus I
don't wear helmets.

I think the view would be more shaky - the beauty of a helmet-cam is
that your head is actually a pretty good anti-vibration mount. Be
even better if you were an owl...

The other issue is that field-of-view seems quite narrow in standard
helmet cams - they rely on you pointing your head at what wants to be
seen. I guess you can probably get wide-angle lenses?

Does anyone make such a rig, recording to some kind of memory or hard
disk device which could live in a pannier?

The recording device exists - look at
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Solid...Recorders.html (but no
endorsement of that site - just the first that googled to hand). The
same site has numerous variants of mount, including a head-band for
helmet-less use and various ones for bolting to various things, with
which you must be able to bodge something.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Latham uses car as weapon TimC Australia 35 January 25th 06 12:11 PM
Assault with a deadly weapon - a car? dannyfrankszzz UK 26 September 25th 05 01:31 PM
Cyclists weapon Tony Raven UK 4 August 20th 05 01:20 PM
The handiman's secret weapon.... Portable Splat Graphics Mountain Biking 4 August 22nd 04 08:34 PM
Air Pump detected as a weapon???? Red Cloud General 25 May 26th 04 10:51 PM