Drum Brake: "Drive" Side?

Old February 28th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Drum Brake: "Drive" Side?

Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 28th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?

With traditional front drum brakes, the hub is oriented so that the
reaction arm pivots at the front and extends rearward, to lessen the
chance of it snagging on anything untoward.
~
Old February 28th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Feb 27, 4:19*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?
--
PeteCresswell

No. At least not on my Sturmey-Archer X-FDD. The cable goes behind the
fork blade.
Old February 28th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:19:56 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?

For lacing wheels with hub brakes of any kind it should not matter.
Old February 28th 08, 10:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_171_]

_ Wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:19:56 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?

For lacing wheels with hub brakes of any kind it should not matter.

Torque is torque whether it's propelling or braking. Since there is a
fairly well established consensus about the best lace to deal with
propelling torque, why shouldn't the same line of reasoning be
applicable to how to best deal with braking torque?

With that said, I don't expect it to have a critical influence.

--
dabac

Old February 28th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_172_]

(PeteCresswell) Wrote:
Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?
--
PeteCresswell

Drive side is simply a handy reference which for a rear wheel is more
definite than "left" or "right". I suppose the reference could be
extended to cover the front wheel too, but it wouldn't be as strikingly
obvious as for the rear.

I haven't looked at enough hub brakes with reaction arms to say if
there is any informal standard concerning their design and location, but
from a pure engineering standpoint they could be placed at either side
of either leg of the fork with minor mechanical consequences.
There should be a small benefit to be gained from the proper
orientation of the spokes in terms of leading or trailing, but as far as
"drive side" is concerned it's a fairly empty definition for a front
brake hub.
If the performance of hub brakes is dependent on the direction of
rotation then that too must be addressed to get a complete frame of
reference for lacing instructions.

--
dabac

Old February 28th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:08:28 +1100, dabac wrote:

_ Wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:19:56 -0500, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?

For lacing wheels with hub brakes of any kind it should not matter.

Torque is torque whether it's propelling or braking. Since there is a
fairly well established consensus about the best lace to deal with
propelling torque, why shouldn't the same line of reasoning be
applicable to how to best deal with braking torque?

With that said, I don't expect it to have a critical influence.

Because the only effect of propelling torque on cycle wheels is du to
non-symetrical lacing, where the lateral shift of the rim can affect
braking; with hub brakes of any kind, this is not an issue.
Old February 28th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_173_]

_ Wrote:

Because the only effect of *propelling torque* on cycle wheels is du
non-symetrical lacing, where the lateral shift of the rim *can affect
braking*; with hub brakes of any kind, this is not an issue.

What?

#1. You spend a lot of time honking and braking simultaneously?

#2. Ever considered the differences between leading and trailing
spokes? Seems that several wheel builders do...

--
dabac

Old February 29th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

may have said:

Lacing instructions I see refer to a wheel's "Drive" side.

When lacing a wheel with a front hub brake, would the side the
reaction arm is on be the "Drive" side?

I believe they mean the bike's drive side. I'm not sure; I could be
wrong.

#1. You spend a lot of time honking and braking simultaneously?

Seldom does a cyclist who is propelling wishes to have braking at the same
moment - but non-symetrical lacing can allow this to happen.

#2. Ever considered the differences between leading and trailing
spokes? Seems that several wheel builders do...

As long as it is symetrical, there is no real difference.

Wheel builders are not, as we know, siufficient authority to claim
otherwise.