Drum Brake: "Drive" Side?

Old March 4th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Default Drum Brake: "Drive" Side?

_ Wrote:
Because the only effect of *propelling torque* on cycle wheels is du
non-symetrical lacing, where the lateral shift of the rim *can affect
braking*; with hub brakes of any kind, this is not an issue.

What?
#1. You spend a lot of time honking and braking simultaneously?

_ wrote:
Seldom does a cyclist who is propelling wishes to have braking at the same
moment - but non-symetrical lacing can allow this to happen.

#2. Ever considered the differences between leading and trailing
spokes? Seems that several wheel builders do...

_ wrote:
As long as it is symetrical, there is no real difference.
Wheel builders are not, as we know, siufficient authority to claim
otherwise.

But we don't make claims. When last discussed here I believe we all
agreed (Sheldon Brown as well) it is a trivial difference and we build
one way or the other from habit mostly.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 5th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:38:48 -0600, A Muzi wrote:

_ Wrote:
Because the only effect of *propelling torque* on cycle wheels is du
non-symetrical lacing, where the lateral shift of the rim *can affect
braking*; with hub brakes of any kind, this is not an issue.

What?
#1. You spend a lot of time honking and braking simultaneously?

#2. Ever considered the differences between leading and trailing

_ wrote:
As long as it is symetrical, there is no real difference.
Wheel builders are not, as we know, siufficient authority to claim
otherwise.

But we don't make claims. When last discussed here I believe we all
agreed (Sheldon Brown as well) it is a trivial difference and we build
one way or the other from habit mostly.

I wasn't saying you do; merely that if others do (as stated by "dabac" in
support of his assertion that it DOES make a difference) their being
wheelbuilders does not lend any greater creedence to such a claim.