"... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

Old November 11th 13, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default "... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

On 11/11/2013 03:50, Duane wrote:
Dan wrote:
Clive George writes:

On 10/11/2013 03:30, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Sat, 9 Nov 2013
09:18:48 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski

All courtesy of the tory blight, which has been inflicted on
Cambridgeshire, (elected by a single figure percentage of voters) and
refuses to take road safety seriously enough to do anything about
dangerous driving, speed limit enforcement, careless driving,
infringement of cycle lanes by motor vehicles, or threatening
behaviour (as long as it's done with or from a motor vehicle). And
note that the car that was stopped without lights only received "words
of advice", despite clearly posing a far greater hazard to the general
public. Clear double standard (if you can find any standard at all -
I doubt if Sir Graham Dim could even spell it).

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit cyclists
-
it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets headlines, and
encourages people to get lights. Note the timing - after the clocks
change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've gone
and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being miserable
facists.

I don't know. What got me about the article was how there
were too many unlit bikes going by for the blitz squad to
even make much of a dent. And the cops attitude? "Like
shooting fish in a barrel." Does no one think they're
treating people (hoardes of people apparently going about
their business without a problem) people who may have room
for improvement for their own safety being treated as if they
were a menace to society?

"Load up the fish guns and gather 'round the barrel, boys!"

What got me about it was that they were volunteer cops. What the hell is
that?

Community support officers. They've got a lot less power than real plod,
but can be useful for low-level stuff such as this.
Old November 11th 13, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Dan wrote:
Clive George writes:

[...]

Yes, I saw from another post that it's a normal thing in GB to have
volunteer police. We don't see that much in North America. From the
article it sounded like there were these people that volunteered to
ticket the cyclists.
Old November 11th 13, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Dan wrote:
Clive George writes:

[...]

No, just vigilantes :-)

From the
article it sounded like there were these people that volunteered to
ticket the cyclists.

They'll have volunteered to work with plod, but will have then been
assigned the job of ticketing the cyclists. They'll do other stuff as
well - that couple of hours will be a tiny fraction of what they do.

It's probably quite a good use of their time - it means the police can't
be accused of wasting public money on this, and it's not a job which
requires the full skills of a policeman.
Old November 11th 13, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:50:29 PM UTC-6, Duane wrote:
James wrote:

The weird part is how bad it is for the pedestrians with the cyclists

coming up behind them.

duane

I try to announce my presence to avoid scaring pedestrians when I go around them.

Andy
Old November 11th 13, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:10:39 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:

I came upon a bicyclist with no lights coming at me head on one
dark morning. That was like "expletive deleted!" But we passed
each other okay without incident.

The next morning I came upon him *again*. Again it was rather
disconcerting, but by the *next* morning I was watching for him,
and thereafter was not so surprised. I didn't appreciate it,
but it wasn't any more of a problem than lots of other things
I have to deal with - *including* people who are following the
law but not doing so well with the social interaction.

If he feels safer that way - and is - so be it (though I think
he'd be better off with a light at least). I wish he had a
sweet separated path to ride on so he wouldn't feel so paranoid
that he has to keep near passing motor traffic in view.

He may feel safer that way, but I really doubt that he is. Of course, the usual way of determining the truth of that matter is by examining data...

And regarding the wish: Yes, on one hand, you can wish for million-dollar-per-mile separated paths everywhere this guy wants to ride. Or you can wish for a $30 headlight and $10 worth of educational material, which would work even better. I think I know which wish is more sensible.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 13, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:54:53 +0000, Clive George wrote:

From the article it sounded like there were these people that
volunteered to ticket the cyclists.

They'll have volunteered to work with plod, but will have then been
assigned the job of ticketing the cyclists. They'll do other stuff as
well - that couple of hours will be a tiny fraction of what they do.

It's probably quite a good use of their time - it means the police can't
be accused of wasting public money on this, and it's not a job which
requires the full skills of a policeman.

and a flight of stairs.

The article did specifically say they were special constables rather than
PCSOs though. However journalistic accuracy is a bit of an oxymoron
sometimes.

Also if they buy lights, and, produce evidence of such at a plod station
the fine is annulled.

It's all a bit win win really. Cyclists are forced into sensible
behaviour, plod spend no money on policing, and gain a little in fines
from those too dimwitted to go and buy cheap lights.
--
davethedave
Old November 11th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-11-2013, 12:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
He may feel safer that way, but I really doubt that he is. Of course, the usual way of determining the truth of that matter is by examining data...

And regarding the wish: Yes, on one hand, you can wish for million-dollar-per-mile separated paths everywhere this guy wants to ride. Or you can wish for a $30 headlight and $10 worth of educational material, which would work even better. I think I know which wish is more sensible.

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Old November 12th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:52:45 PM UTC-5, Wes Groleau wrote:

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

Even that's controversial, it seems. I know people who claim one should never say anything to another road user, and never honk one's horn when driving. :-/

For wrong-way riders, I usually say something like "You're on the wrong side of the road." I've gotten reactions ranging from "I'm sorry, I know I should be on the other side" to rude yells in return. One crazy guy turned around and rode after me, yelling about fighting me. No telling what chemicals were in his system.

But I continue to try.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 12th 13, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Dan wrote:
Clive George writes:

[...]

Years ago in California there were volunteer sheriffs deputies (I
don't remember the exact title) but they did crowd control during
parades, searches for missing people, and such like. Even earlier
there was the "Sheriff's posse".
Apparently a fairly well established U.S. practice.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 12th 13, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:52:45 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-11-2013, 12:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
He may feel safer that way, but I really doubt that he is. Of course, the usual way of determining the truth of that matter is by examining data...

And regarding the wish: Yes, on one hand, you can wish for million-dollar-per-mile separated paths everywhere this guy wants to ride. Or you can wish for a $30 headlight and $10 worth of educational material, which would work even better. I think I know which wish is more sensible.

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

and, of course, "he" is rolling along there feeling very satisfied
with himself.. sort of an American Ninja sneaking about and "nobody
can see me" :-).
--
Cheers,

John B.