Rear wheel bearings

Old November 12th 13, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy K[_2_]

Default Rear wheel bearings

I went to parktool.com but found nothing on rear wheel bearing repair/diagnosis.

Before and after I took the tire off, when rotated it sounds like "sand grinding."

To me, that was a bad sign. :-(

What do the bike repair gurus think ?

Andy
Old November 12th 13, 09:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Andy K wrote:
I went to parktool.com but found nothing on rear wheel bearing
repair/diagnosis.

Before and after I took the tire off, when rotated it sounds like
"sand grinding."

To me, that was a bad sign. :-(

What do the bike repair gurus think ?

Andy

Perhaps you weren't looking in the right place.
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...and-adjustment
I'm presuming here that you have a cup and cone loose ball hub.
I'm no guru but "grinding" sounds like a bad sign. Time to pull it apart and
inspect cones, cups and balls?
PH

Old November 12th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Monday, November 11, 2013 10:24:37 PM UTC-8, Andy K wrote:
I went to parktool.com but found nothing on rear wheel bearing repair/diagnosis.

Before and after I took the tire off, when rotated it sounds like "sand grinding."

To me, that was a bad sign. :-(

What do the bike repair gurus think ?

Andy

You probably have a lot of crap in your freehub body and/or in your hub bearings. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...reehub-service

Pop the hub open and service. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...and-adjustment

If it still grinds, try cleaning the freehub. Personally, I've found that cleaning and lubing the hub bearings quiets the freehub.

-- Jay Beattie.