BICYCLE CENTRAL WEATHER REPORT

Old November 19th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default BICYCLE CENTRAL WEATHER REPORT

On 11/19/2015 11:42 AM, James wrote:
On 20/11/15 00:38, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 8:49:31 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 11/18/2015 2:42 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Dynos are fine for nice dry nights. Contrary to what SMS says,
they are perfect for MUPs except for the beam cut-off, because my
MUPs go up and down.

LOL, yeah except for the beam shape, and except for the fact that
on MUPs you often have twisty and hilly sections where you're
riding at slow speeds and you have the least amount of light when
you most need it, dynos are perfect for MUPs.

To be fair, my dyno light is pretty bright at a walking pace. I have
no problem with the amount of light it produces when riding MUPs,
it's the beam cut-off on undulating path, which also makes it hard to
see walkers. If I were riding the Springwater Corridor -- which is
flat and straight -- a dyno would be just fine.

The same "problem" exists for motor vehicles travelling on steep
undulating and winding roads.

I regularly travel a road that has successive short hills where you go
up and down at about 17% gradient. High beams, low beams, fog light
beams and I suspect Barry beams if you had them on a car, do not show
the road ahead for any appreciable distance as they do when the road is
mostly flat.

I deal with it by driving slower.

Parts of CA 17 are like that. If only everyone would deal with it by
driving slower.
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_28416215/crashes-highway-17-at-highest-level-decade.

Old November 19th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/19/2015 9:38 AM, jbeattie wrote:

To be fair, my dyno light is pretty bright at a walking pace. I have no

problem with the amount of light it produces when riding MUPs, it's the
beam cut-off on undulating path, which also makes it hard to see walkers.
If I were riding the Springwater Corridor -- which is flat and straight --
a dyno would be just fine.

How is your headlight mounted? Is it not possible to reach down and
tilt it upward if necessary?

I do that occasionally if, e.g., the headlight on my folder gets bumped
and is pointing too low. I've done it with other bikes when I've
installed a new light, because it takes a little trial and error to get
the light pointed just as I want.

It should be no big deal. I mount my lights to their brackets by using a
5mm allen screw with a nylock nut. It's easy to have it tight enough to
be stable, but loose enough to adjust on the fly.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 19th 15, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 12:57:52 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

https://goo.gl/RYHOI6

over the hill from the east past Knotts B Farm iza winner.
Old November 20th 15, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 11:57:52 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

I spent my youth shoveling people and parts of people off that highway when I was an ambulance driver in the '70s -- before and after installation of the barrier walls. My last ambulance call before "retiring" was on that highway -- a guy in a VW bus plowed into the back a loaded gas tanker that was crawling up the grade. The VW bus driver came flying around an uphill corner not expecting to see a nearly-parked truck on the other side. After seeing the dented tank on the rear trailer, my first thought was f*** this! $3..00 hr is not enough to get blown-up over. I'll skip the gruesome details about the van driver. My favorite call involved me running for the shoulder adjacent to Big Moody, pushing a stretcher with a patient, trying to avoid being hit by the cars that were running into the cars we had just emptied of casualties. It was like a giant exercise in kinetic energy -- cars spinning all over the place. CHP had failed to close off the highway up stream, or people were somehow squeezing by.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 20th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/19/2015 3:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

[...]

Two weeks ago I was driving back from Santa Cruz after mountain biking
at Wilder Ranch. Just entering Los Gatos the northbound traffic was
stopped. The vehicle in front of me slammed on the brakes, spun 90
degrees, and hit the guardrail on the right head-on. Apparently no
injuries and no air bag deployment. I was not tailgating and was able to
stop. As I moved to the left lane to get around her, she began backing
up into my lane, but fortunately stopped.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000414171923/http://www.got.net/~egallant/winner_archive.html
Old November 20th 15, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

$3/hr ? pension ?

rarely spotted bicycles driving thru Cal but where ? in the most dangerous areas riding in dangerous conditions.

Cals drive well if not they'd be gone and sure enough they are.

Camping under the Cal Sycamore on the Lake Elsinore to Capistrano run on the Ortega Hywy....traffic would stop during dinner for a fatal on the BLM road over the mtns. Whatta Cliff !

THAT'S COMMUTING...actually that's suicidal.
Old November 20th 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 4:10:12 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

know Schumann ? also ambulance personnel

https://www.google.com/#q=roger+schumann+kayak

was Brown governor ? sounds suspicious......
Old November 20th 15, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/19/2015 8:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

Brown is almost always the governor. He's the the fourth of
his two terms.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 20th 15, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 6:18:15 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/19/2015 8:37 PM, wrote:
[...]

I smell a plot....

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Inslee+...5705&efirst=36
Old November 21st 15, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 6:37:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.VkKpf5WFPaE

Hooray!

(Gettin' chilly here, but nice ;-)

WEATHER REPORT WEATHER REPORT WEATHER REPORT [email protected] Techniques 7 December 9th 13 01:43 PM
Cycling weather report Brian G UK 3 July 7th 07 06:57 AM
BLART ride and weather report Tamyka Bell Australia 4 May 6th 05 09:51 AM
Weather report RonSonic General 3 April 25th 05 05:52 AM
cool weather gear report pam_in_sc General 27 November 10th 04 02:33 AM