R. Derailer idler pullies

Old November 20th 15, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default R. Derailer idler pullies

I spent some time cleaned and lubed a 105 rear derailer that I'll
probably use in the new(old) bike. I noticed that the idler pulleys
are extremely loose and wonder whether they should be replaced. The
lower one is probably not too important but the upper pulley is what
derails the chain and I would think that if it wiggled from side to
side it would effect shifting.

Comments ?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old November 20th 15, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2015 5:06 AM, John B. wrote:

I spent some time cleaned and lubed a 105 rear derailer that I'll
probably use in the new(old) bike. I noticed that the idler pulleys
are extremely loose and wonder whether they should be replaced. The
lower one is probably not too important but the upper pulley is what
derails the chain and I would think that if it wiggled from side to
side it would effect shifting.

Comments ?
--

Cheers,

John B.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Shimano calls the top roller design 'centeron pulley'. It's
supposed to slide laterally so as to center under the
sprocket without rocking. Various materials were used across
years and models, the most expensive of which have ceramic
liners over a ceramic bush.

It's a contributing part of an index system, which is to
say that several features combine for snappy index shifting
not just the shifter itself.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 20th 15, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 2:31:03 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Lateral movement it's OK. It makes the adjusting less critical. I prever pulley that doesn't have lateral play though. If the pulley shows rotational movement along X axes (X is the traveling direction) because of a worn pulley bearing you get sloppy shifting because of the hysteresis. Time to replace the pulleys for me.

Lou
Old November 21st 15, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 07:30:57 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/20/2015 5:06 AM, John B. wrote:

I spent some time cleaned and lubed a 105 rear derailer that I'll
probably use in the new(old) bike. I noticed that the idler pulleys
are extremely loose and wonder whether they should be replaced. The
lower one is probably not too important but the upper pulley is what
derails the chain and I would think that if it wiggled from side to
side it would effect shifting.

Comments ?
--

Cheers,

John B.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Shimano calls the top roller design 'centeron pulley'. It's
supposed to slide laterally so as to center under the
sprocket without rocking. Various materials were used across
years and models, the most expensive of which have ceramic
liners over a ceramic bush.

I'll look at it again but my initial impression was that the bushing
was work and it wiggled, i.e. tilted back and forth.

Old November 21st 15, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 20, 2015 at 4:06:35 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
I spent some time cleaned and lubed a 105 rear derailer that I'll
probably use in the new(old) bike. I noticed that the idler pulleys
are extremely loose and wonder whether they should be replaced. The
lower one is probably not too important but the upper pulley is what
derails the chain and I would think that if it wiggled from side to
side it would effect shifting.

Comments ?
--

Cheers,

John B.

SYNTHETIC BOAT TRAILER BEARING GREASE IS PERFECT FOR IDLERS

buy where you are ?
Old November 21st 15, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2015 6:44 PM, John B. wrote:
[...]

in that case, it's worn out. They are cheap and myriad
aftermarket products exists besides a host of Shimano models.

Old November 22nd 15, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:04:36 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

That's what I figured and will replace it :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

Recumbent chain idler Wally UK 16 January 23rd 06 09:42 PM
Anyone out there ever use a TearraCycle chain idler? John Knez Recumbent Biking 4 January 22nd 06 05:01 AM
degreasing pullies: how ? Piet Mountain Biking 8 May 31st 05 03:52 PM
derailer... i have 2 ajustable knobs on a derailer what are they for? mp3p0 General 2 April 19th 05 02:15 PM
Cycle story in "The Idler" Simon Mason UK 15 May 1st 04 10:10 PM