Double-wall water bottles

Old July 2nd 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Double-wall water bottles

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 07:39:37 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-30 18:48, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/30/2017 7:36 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 5:31:07 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:47:45 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 12:20:49 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
A couple of hours ago my wife made a find at Costco
Lucky you

https://www.costco.com/Reduce-COLD-1...100340745.html

But what's wrong with these things?
http://www.performancebike.com/webap...400162__400162

It's plastic and the insulation won't last long on the MTB. Which is
what I use 40-50% of the time.

I am going to use these to refill my 28oz non-insulated water bottle
which rides in the bike's holder.

I bought a couple of those and was very disappointed in them for hot
weather use. I chilled one filled bottle over night in the fridge and
froze the second filled bottle. By about 2 hours into a "Sunday Ride"
they were both at about ambient temperature.

At the time I bought them they were more expensive then conventional
bottles so I reckoned that I was bitten by the "Advertising Bug". I
also have a couple of stainless "thermos' " which do work but as you
mention in another post do not fit the usual bottle cages but do keep
the drinks hot or cold far longer.

These are essentially stainless thermos bottles with two walls and
supposedly a vacuum in between. I read one review where a guy put ice
and water in, the contents froze up, it wouldn't thaw after a few sunny
hours, he left the lid off in hopes that would make it thaw, and it
didn't. We'll see. I will find out on a long ride in hot weather next
week whether they perform as advertised. If not Costco is very fair in
returning stuff that doesn't live up to the promises given. This is why
I always keep all the packaging material and receipts until I know for
sure stuff works.

Ah, I thought you were referring to the bottles mentioned in the
second reference above which are plastic bottles (and not, in my
opinion worth the money).

I have a number of the smaller stainless "thermos" bottle and they
will keep coffee hot for several hours and I assume will keep stuff
cold for the same period. But they don't fit in my bottle cages :-(

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 2nd 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Plastic also gets funky very easily, especially when using it for
electrolyte and other drinks.

I have a number of the smaller stainless "thermos" bottle and they
will keep coffee hot for several hours ...

That is one reason why I told my wife to buy them after she called about
the find. I have a small thermos for the office from back when I worked
22mi away from here. Holds only two cups but even if I drank the 2nd cup
later in the afternoon it was still very hot. However, the main reason
is that I carry the same kind of gear on the road bike as on the MTB. On
the MTB things have to be smash-proof. The panniers can get hit by rocks
and stuff, or I might turf it. Steel is usually best.

... and I assume will keep stuff
cold for the same period. But they don't fit in my bottle cages :-(

These can be crammed in there but there is no indentation so they won't
latch in. On the MTB that would mean it'll fly off during the first
mile. Even the regular fitting bottle sails into the bush once in a
while. Always interesting to waltz in there to pick it up, hoping
nothing in the brush starts an evil hiss.

They also have no drinking spout so they are only useful to fill a cup
or the main water bottle. No problem, because I have panniers on both
bikes. The same kind, so switching bikes on a whim is a matter of seconds.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 2nd 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_bottle#Health

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-density_polyethylene

the Polar bottle I had….10 years ago never offered problems n frankly I didnah thin to ask …. Later I was stuck with 3 BPA’s.. Designed
but as the BPA man wrote….why bother ?

Old July 3rd 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 07:44:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Not if you wash the bottles after use :-)

Old July 3rd 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/30/2017 6:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

???
How many burglaries have you suffered? I would imagine the silver and
electronics would be first choice, if not your bicycle itself.

Depending on where you park, a lot of stuff, that you would think no one
would want, gets stolen. Try parking in downtown Santa Cruz or in San
Francisco some time.

Old July 3rd 17, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/2/2017 7:44 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

These can be crammed in there but there is no indentation so they won't
latch in. On the MTB that would mean it'll fly off during the first
mile. Even the regular fitting bottle sails into the bush once in a
while. Always interesting to waltz in there to pick it up, hoping
nothing in the brush starts an evil hiss.

The old Profile Kage works will with larger bottles. There's no thingee
for the indentation and it grips the bottle tightly. You can replace
ther rubber thingee if it breaks.

https://www.triuk.com/products/profile-design/profile-design-kage-bottle-cage-black.
These used to be about $2.

Also look at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034IBG9E.
Old July 3rd 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-30 12:42, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

It has its limits though. Plastic scratches, develops cracks from UV and
so on. Eventually they can't be sanitized very well anymore. Stainless
steel last almost forever and a simple rinse is usually sufficient.

Of course, the downside is that I am now going to schlepp an extra 1-3/4
lbs in empty weight. However, weight is of little concern to me and it
hopefully affords me ice cold water during my rides. I shall see during
a long ride later this week which is going to be a toasty one. I'll
report back here.

Old July 3rd 17, 03:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-02 18:28, sms wrote:
On 7/2/2017 7:44 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

These can be crammed in there but there is no indentation so they
won't latch in. On the MTB that would mean it'll fly off during the
first mile. Even the regular fitting bottle sails into the bush once
in a while. Always interesting to waltz in there to pick it up, hoping
nothing in the brush starts an evil hiss.

The old Profile Kage works will with larger bottles. There's no thingee
for the indentation and it grips the bottle tightly. You can replace
ther rubber thingee if it breaks.

https://www.triuk.com/products/profile-design/profile-design-kage-bottle-cage-black.
These used to be about $2.

Also look at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034IBG9E.

It's plastic. On the road bike it would probably be fine but on the MTB
not likely to last many rides. In my case not useful anyhow because
these bottles do not have a spout. They are just meant to pour into a
cup or to refill a regular cycling bottle.

Old July 3rd 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZZg8FXwRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM

Old July 3rd 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2017-07-02 18:18, sms wrote:
On 6/30/2017 6:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

???
How many burglaries have you suffered? I would imagine
the silver and
electronics would be first choice, if not your bicycle
itself.

Depending on where you park, a lot of stuff, that you
would think no one
would want, gets stolen. Try parking in downtown Santa
Cruz or in San
Francisco some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZZg8FXwRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dz0Za5-wOM

Let your bicycle go outside all alone? That's just crazy.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
FS: Colnago Water Bottles daggits Marketplace 0 March 12th 05 01:50 AM
Old style water bottles Richard Tack Techniques 8 September 14th 04 08:32 PM
WTB: New water bottles in quantity Brett Thompson Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 04:02 AM
Aerodynamic Water Bottles T. Field Techniques 5 July 30th 03 05:10 AM