Getting Stronger with Miles?

Old July 3rd 17, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Getting Stronger with Miles?

I was not feeling great today but needed the miles. I decided to do a 50 mile loop. I rode down to Palo Alto and stopped and Paris Baguette for a couple of apple tarts and a cup of coffee that was just short of nauseating.

Then I decided to trace up the peninsula. Last time I did this I ended at top of the hill in Daily City. This time I wanted to stay down by the bay side since the wind was blowing like the blazes. So of course I ended up on the Bay Trail and got lost and almost rode into a homeless encampment. Finally I went to Google Maps and they gave me directions. It was the same direction I had gone but what looked like a dead end was really a right turn under the freeway. But there were a few complicated turns that I had to make to get me on the correct track. And then the map program decided to put me on a quieter street which had a surface on it that would make Paris-Roubaix seem like an ice rink.

What was sort of surprising is that after 35-40 miles I was getting stronger. Mind you I was tired but I was sprinting up to 22 mph or so whereas in the morning I could barely hit 18 mph.

I ended up with 70 miles. If I continue I'll be back in shape to ride with my friends in the Tour de Fuzz and around Lake Tahoe.
Old July 3rd 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-02 16:24, wrote:
[...]

What did they put in the coffee? I want some of that!

In Sacramento it is currently wise to stay away from the fast-growing
homeless camps. Which means part of the American River Trail has become
de facto useless because one risks pit bull attacks and rocks thrown. I
am glad not to have to live in a city, especially one that is so far out
of control.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 3rd 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 4:24:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

When Caleb Greenwood was summoned to go rescue the Donner Party, he was in his 80's at the time. And living in Napa. They rousted him out of bed in the middle of the night, He assembled his pack and shoshoes, walked from Napa to Donner Lake, rescued them, walked home, went back to bed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cale...ZcG6CF-FuNl4M:

Old July 3rd 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 9:45:55 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

What did they put in the coffee? I want some of that!

No you don't. Every time I've been there I've ended up throwing the majority of that coffee away.