Hazard on the roads and trails for bicyclists

Old July 17th 17, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Hazard on the roads and trails for bicyclists

John B. wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:50:54 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 11:32:18 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/15/2017 11:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A number oftimes in the last couple of months I've noticed extremely
dangerous riding by these newfangled electric scooter/bike riders. In
our area these are NOT allowed on the park trails or multi-use paths
yet many electric bike operators zoom along at quite a high speed
compared to the average pedal powered bicycle rider. Add in the fact
that these electric bikes are nearly silent and you have an
increasingly hazaradous thing to try and avoid. what makes it really
bad is that these things don't need to be licensed and it seems that
most of the ones riding them have no idea what the rules of the road
are for them and/or where they're allowedto ride them.

Be aware of these things lest one day they give you that run down feeling.

I wonder if eventually electric bikes and their rider will have to licensed?

I agree that these things are going to be yet another difficult
complication on our road systems.

The cycling industry is lobbying hard to get favorable legislation for
electric assist bikes. They seem to see this as a huge potential market,
and I think they're correct. (The upscale bike shop I visited
yesterday, in a big city, had the electric bikes on the prominent "right
inside the door" display.) These things will let lazy people look
athletic and "green" without sweating much.

But I can envision lots of low skill riders cranking along at about 20
mph, riding facing traffic, passing cyclists without warning, speeding
on MUPs, sliding out on turns, etc.

Of course, they'll also be a boon to experienced and competent cyclists
who are suffering the ravages of age. I have a couple friends like that
who are definitely interested.

We'll see how it works out. But I'm not entirely optimistic.

--
- Frank Krygowski

What has me concerned are the electric bikes/scooters that do NOT have
pedals; in other words they're NOT electric assisted bicycles but
electric motorized bikes. Too many times the people I see riding them
have no idea whatthe traffic laws are, they ride them on prohibited
paths, and they ride at a high rate of speed where there are extremely
poor sight lines. In the park I rode through yesterday a guy on a purely
electric scooter (2-wheeler) was bombing through even though there are
many signs posted stating no motorized vehicles allowed. that means
electric bikes too. This guy had no consideration that there might be
little children around the next bend that he could not see yet the was
going at a high rate of speed. It seems to me that it's only a matter of
timet before one of these reckless e-bike (no pedals) riders seriously
hurts someone or gets themselves injured severely or killed in traffic
because they fail to follow the rules of the road or exhibit plain old
common sense when riding.

Cheers

I see them here in Montreal too. Often they are people with handicaps but
not always. I avoid these paths, not because they're dangerous but because
the speed limit is 20k/h. These scooters don't seem to be bothered by the
speed limit and the cops don't seem to want to ticket them. There's one
that I used to take on my commute because it was empty and I could avoid
traffic. But I was stopped and warned so now I take the road with the
traffic.

In Singapore, where they seem to have some sort of fetish about
obeying laws, one cannot ride a bicycle, an e-bike or a PMD on a
public path that is a pedestrian-only path, and can be fined up to
S$1,000 or jailed up to three months or punished with both for doing
so. The penalty will be doubled for repeat offenders.
--
Cheers,

John B.

We aren't talking about pedestrian only paths.

--
duane
Old July 17th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 5:48:00 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Snipped

We aren't talking about pedestrian only paths.

--
duane

That's true, hence the title of the thread.

I can count the number of times now that one of these non-pedal powered electric bikes or scooters has zoomed up on my right side on a road that has just one lane in either direction. It seems to me that here anyone with the $ can go into a store and by an electric bike or scooter without pedals and then leave and immediately start riding it in traffic. Due to the speed of these things it's even more important that the riderr have an understanding of the traffic laws/rules of the road nd follows them. Crikey, I even seen some of these go up onto a sidewalk and then zoom along at a good clip.

I guess it'll take some pedestrians or some other road users getting seriously hurt or killed before much is done to curtail this irresponsible behaviour of many of these non-pedal powered electric bikes and scooters.

Cheers
Old July 17th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 17/07/2017 2:25 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 5:48:00 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Snipped

We aren't talking about pedestrian only paths.

--
duane

That's true, hence the title of the thread.

John answered that where he was only pedestrians used pedestrian only
paths. I was pointing out that we aren't talking about walking only trails.

I can count the number of times now that one of these non-pedal powered electric bikes or scooters has zoomed up on my right side on a road that has just one lane in either direction. It seems to me that here anyone with the $ can go into a store and by an electric bike or scooter without pedals and then leave and immediately start riding it in traffic. Due to the speed of these things it's even more important that the riderr have an understanding of the traffic laws/rules of the road nd follows them. Crikey, I even seen some of these go up onto a sidewalk and then zoom along at a good clip.

Here a "scooter" is classified as 50cc gas engine or under 70k/h max
speed. It requires a license that I think involves 6 hour training.

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safe...ivers/scooter/

Old July 18th 17, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 3:27:13 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
[...]

What do they call those electric 2-wheel vehicles that run only on electric power and that do not have pedals? Here we call them electric scooters. And boy some of them can really scoot too.

Cheers
Old July 19th 17, 09:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 4:21:47 AM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
A number oftimes in the last couple of months I've noticed extremely dangerous riding by these newfangled electric scooter/bike riders.

Might be a passing fad. There were quite a few electric-assist bikes here before I bought my first one. I of course informed myself before I laid out any money. But I was surprised at the number of people who, seeing me ride the same electric bike year after year, would approach me to ask if my bike was satisfactory, how often my battery went flat, being amazed when I said, "Never, not once," and then trying to buy my bike. On questioning I discovered that most of them didn't understand "electric-assist", especially the "assist" part. They wanted to take their exercise by going for long rides (their idea of "long" is shorter than my routine daily ride) without pedaling. They didn't routinely charge the battery after every ride but would let it run flat, which is ruinous. Some of them clearly didn't believe me when I said that I still have my first battery, getting on for ten years, and it is still good, because I charge it after the shortest ride. I don't see any of their bikes around any more.
***
The other day I was riding on a footpath up a steep hill, keeping to the pedestrians' pace, when I saw a schoolboy coming the other way, standing on what appears to be a battery- and motor-bar with two wheels about 4" high, controlling it with some kind of a remote in his hands. Too many of those might become a nuisance. Wouldn't mind having one, though, just for the novelty value.

Andre Jute
Ride tall!